MozillaZine

Duplicate Addresses

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i_am_jim

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 11:19 am

I'm not sure how this happens but I get a lot of duplicate addresses in the Address book. Is there a utility that ripples through the address book and removes entries that are exact duplicates?

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Perhaps you will find this helpful -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... te/?src=ss

i_am_jim

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Thanks for replying, but it isn't duplicate messages, it's duplicate entries in the Address Book

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Sorry, grabbed the wrong link. It was the next one down the list -- https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... src=search

i_am_jim

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 7:47 pm

It found and asked me to choose pairs that were similar but had differences. However I got the program to remove the large number of exact duplicates and it deleted none of them.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 30th, 2020, 7:50 pm

sorry but I don’t use the extension.

Another approach would be to export the address book contents to a CSV file, load that into a spreadsheet and using multi-column sorting to group the duplicates so you can delete all but one copy of a contact. Save the edited data to a new CSV file (so the original export remains available for a second try if needed). Import the cleaned up data to Thunderbird where it will create a new address book. Once you confirm that everything is working as desired you can clean out the original address data (delete the records) and then copy the data from the address book created by the import of the de-duped data into the Personal Address book (assuming that is where the dupes originated.)

Return to Thunderbird Support