MozillaZine

Thunderbird 78.1 randomly freezing for 30-60 seconds

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gidweisz

Post Posted August 20th, 2020, 10:46 am

I tried to uninstall 78 and then install 68, but it wants my name, email, etc. and resists simply using my old profile.
Would anyone please give a step-by-step for installing the 68 and getting to the old profile? I know the addressbook will be lost,
(unless restored roundabout), but what about everything else?

EDIT: I had saved some addressbook info, and then I uninstalled 78, and then tried to install 68.
But it then asked for email address, etc, and I think it probably would have asked for server names, etc.,
and all I wanted was for it to use the old profile, but it didn't give that choice. You could only cancel everything
or ask for it to set up a new profile.

EDIT: Bad news, I think. I thought when TB was uninstalled it would leave the old profile folder intact.
But when I look at that location, all the old stuff is gone. Maybe it went when I tried to install TB freshly.
Any help would be appreciated.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 20th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Use --allow-downgrades as a command line argument in the Thunderbird 68 shortcut to enable backwards compatibility.

If necessary add a -profile "full_path_to_profile" command line argument too, to directly specify the profiles location and bypass using profiles.ini.

Thunderbird should leave the profiles alone when uninstalling. Does windows explorer show the profile as gone, or are you basing your conclusion on what Thunderbird tells you?

gidweisz

Post Posted August 20th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I suspect that the fresh installation wiped the profile.
I went to Users > MyName > Appdata > Roaming > Thunderbird > Profiles
And there I found only a few items, all dated 8/20 or in one case 8/18.
I could kick myself, were I still alive.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 20th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I uninstall and re-install various recent versions of Thunderbird (60, 68, 78, daily, beta) periodically and its never deleted a profile directory.

panter

Post Posted August 21st, 2020, 3:29 am

Confirmed same error at me, started with TB 78.0, same still with 78.1.1, quite annoying.
I use Win10 with latest updates, TB 64 bit.
In the middle of writing text (subject or body) it just freezes for 10s or so...
Might be associated with antivirus (I use company ESET NOD32), but could not confirm it.
Hard to debug this...
Now I would rather wait for new version then to downgrade to TB68 and run into more troubles with profile.

Kostenzer

Post Posted August 21st, 2020, 8:35 am

Same issue here. Thunderbird freezes very oft. I can't ore don't know how to downgrade from thunderbird 78 to 68.
What a mess.
Thunderbird must make it easier to downgrade. Thunderbird even can't find the new made (by me) profile.ini file

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 21st, 2020, 8:50 am

"Thunderbird must make it easier to downgrade"

The developers have a mindset that everybody should always upgrade to the latest released version in order to get the latest security fixes even though even https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2020-33/ admits "in general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts." The software they use in version 78 to migrate contacts from *.mab files to sqlite deletes the contacts in the *.mab files as a side effect, breaking backwards compatibility.

So I would be surprised if they make it easier to downgrade.

kungfujoe

Post Posted August 22nd, 2020, 2:15 pm

Provisionally good news... After uninstalling Thunderbird 78.x, installing 68.x, and then installing 78.x on that fresh install, I not only got my old address book back without having to do any extra work (Yay!), but the freezing ALSO seems to have stopped! I haven't spent a lot of time on email today, but I installed 78.1.1 this morning, and have spent enough time in it that, previously, I'd have expected to see freezing, and I have had absolutely no problem.

I still miss my old extensions, but I'd rather have a current, secure email client than those extensions. And who knows, maybe some of them will get updated...

wsmwk

Post Posted August 23rd, 2020, 2:47 am

Unfortunately because of infrastructure issues a week ago we were unable to ship 78.1.2 which would have fixed this.

It will now be fixed in 78.2.0.

kungfujoe

Post Posted August 23rd, 2020, 10:32 am

wsmwk wrote:Unfortunately because of infrastructure issues a week ago we were unable to ship 78.1.2 which would have fixed this.

It will now be fixed in 78.2.0.

So this is a known issue? Is there an associated Bugzilla ticket you can link to?

kungfujoe

Post Posted August 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm

kungfujoe wrote:Provisionally good news... After uninstalling Thunderbird 78.x, installing 68.x, and then installing 78.x on that fresh install, I not only got my old address book back without having to do any extra work (Yay!), but the freezing ALSO seems to have stopped! I haven't spent a lot of time on email today, but I installed 78.1.1 this morning, and have spent enough time in it that, previously, I'd have expected to see freezing, and I have had absolutely no problem.

It seems that TB78 works fine for a few days, and then starts freezing randomly. The problem didn't go away for long. Hopefully wsmwk is right, and this is a known problem that will be fixed in 78.2 (and hopefully it'll be released SOON).

I believe wsmwk is referring to this bug (1660484), which specifies freezing when composing mail. If the bug referenced here really only affects composing mail, I'm not optimistic, because TB78's freezing happens all the time. When reading mail, when deleting mail, when composing mail, when simply switching to the Thunderbird window.

tanstaafl

Post Posted August 26th, 2020, 6:47 pm

I had been running a pre-release version of 78.2 and help -> about Thunderbird detected the update was available. Pressing the update button successfully updated it.

78.2 is also available for download at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

The release notes at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/ don't seem to mention the fixes wsmwk mentioned. Tough to tell for sure without a bug report number.

DaveRo

Post Posted August 26th, 2020, 11:51 pm

panter

Post Posted August 27th, 2020, 3:03 am

I downloaded 78.2 RC1 few days ago, and since then I didn't notice single event of freezing, before it was 10 times a day.
So I'm pretty confident that bug was solved.
Thanks TB team !

kungfujoe

Post Posted August 28th, 2020, 12:56 pm

tanstaafl wrote:I had been running a pre-release version of 78.2 and help -> about Thunderbird detected the update was available. Pressing the update button successfully updated it.

I've updated, and so far so good, but 78.1.1 ran fine for a few days for me before it began freezing, too. I'm hopeful, but not counting this as definitely-fixed just yet.

tanstaafl wrote:The release notes at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/ don't seem to mention the fixes wsmwk mentioned. Tough to tell for sure without a bug report number.

...and bug 1660484, which I mentioned above, and which wsmwk is a commenter on, has had no action. It's still unconfirmed, with no priority, and no assigned version, so I would not think this is the one that was found and addressed in 78.2.

I skimmed the list of bugs fixed since 78.1.1, and while I'm glad to see so many issues addressed, none of them jumped out at me as being obviously related to the UI freezing, becoming unresponsive, and demanding all of a CPU logical core's attention.

Return to Thunderbird Support