MozillaZine

Emails missing after copying profile to new PC

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Supercoolfool

Post Posted August 31st, 2020, 9:07 am

Hello

I have some emails missing after copying my mom's Thunderbird profile over to a new PC. Both PC's are running Win10, Her TB just has 1 POP account setup in it.

To transfer my mom's data to the new PC, I copied her %appdata%\Thunderbird folder to the new PC and opened up Thunderbird, something I've done many times in the past to transfer TB data to a new PC. To me, everything seemed to be there once I opened it up on the new PC.All her folders were there, looked good to me.

My mom noticed after a few months that some messages are missing. She went looking for a couple of old emails, and they're not in TB on her new PC. She still has her old PC, and the messages are there in the old PC.

I have no idea why some messages did not come over (and it always seems to be ones she's looking for). I had compacted the folders before transferring them to the new PC as well.

My question is, is there a way I can compare the two profiles, or is there a way I can import the data from the old profile and skip importing duplicate messages?

I've transferred my own TB profile to IDK how many PC's and I can find messages back to 2002 no problem. I transfer my mom's once, and stuff just disappears. Figures.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 31st, 2020, 2:24 pm

Are the missing messages from just one folder or from multiple folders?
Do they seem to have anything in common, such as a date range? (That is, older than a certain date.)
Have you compared the message count figures in the folder panes of the respective installations? (That is does a folder with missing messages on the new machine show a larger value for the message count on the older machine?)

Supercoolfool

Post Posted August 31st, 2020, 6:52 pm

Thanks for your quick reply and the great suggestions!

I will check on your suggestions and reply asap.

Supercoolfool

Post Posted September 1st, 2020, 5:28 pm

Unfortunately, there's no commonality I can see in the messages. My mom does a lot of manual filing, doesn't use rules and has a ton of folders. The folder counts are all different as this took several months to figure out. Its so odd, she searches on the old PC for a message, and once we find it we can look it up directly in its folder. We look on the new PC and the message is just not there, and no search reveals it. I dont want to have to virtualize her old PC just so I can lookup old messages.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm

Since the two profiles have been in use separately for several months It would be very difficult to determine what happened to your Mom’s messages. While I’m not suggesting it is what happened, messages could have been deleted unintentionally on the new system.
Could you research one specific folder that is missing one or more messages? Each message folder is represented on the hard drive by a file with the same name as the folder and no file name extension. Make a copy of the file representing the folder with missing messages AND the .msf file which has the same name. eg Bookclub and Bookclub.msf. Put those copies in a different directory or on a flash drive so the are protected. Back in the profile, and with Thunderbird closed down, delete the file named (in my example) Bookclub.msf. Restart Thunderbird and access the Bookclub folder. Check to see if the missing messages are still missing.

Supercoolfool

Post Posted September 4th, 2020, 5:03 pm

I'll be able to give that a shot on Sunday see what happens,

Supercoolfool

Post Posted September 7th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Wasn't able to squeeze it in this week. I'll be visiting again next week. Sorry for then suspense :)

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

No problem.

Supercoolfool

Post Posted September 14th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Appreciate your help, my moms decided she doesn't care about the issue anymore, now it's only me who's puzzled. Thanks again, if she changes her mind, I'll backup her profile and try to remove msf file for the affected folder and see what happens.

Stay Safe

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 15th, 2020, 3:44 am

OK, take care.

Return to Thunderbird Support