MozillaZine

Inconsistent searching & indexing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kent Slimm
 
Posts: 91
Joined: December 4th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Post Posted September 13th, 2020, 5:08 am

You're right that older versions of CDS did work with TB; I'd misremembered. The problem was that they kept doing it badly. The technology (or at least the program's compatibility with TB) seems to have improved with version 7. I installed the 30-day free trial of the Professional version, which has no limits on the number of files -- and then paid. It works well for all of my folders except the one I wrote about.

I'm not sure I trust myself with the complicated (though intriguing) process you describe -- installing an old version of TB, copying the problematic folder to it and then back to the new TB. Besides, what are the chances it would solve my specific problem? Remember, the folder doesn't present as "corrupted" in the usual sense -- it's just (mostly) unindexable by CDS. Otherwise its messages are completely accessible.

tanstaafl
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 46834
Joined: July 30th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted September 13th, 2020, 10:31 am

https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.co ... -problems/ is interesting, though probably not helpful.

https://copernicsearch.freshdesk.com/en ... -indexing-

https://copernicsearch.freshdesk.com/en ... 7000641775 mentions for CDS : 7.1.2 Build 13483 that it "Upgraded the Mozilla Thunderbird extension to support Thunderbird version 67 and up.". Does your version of Copernic Desktop Search require you to install an add-on? I don't remember that. However, a quick search found

https://www.copernic.com/en/store/deskt ... :~:text=By default%2C Copernic Desktop Search,contacts used in ThunderBird %26 Eudora. It appears to increase support for file types to 119. It was released last year so I wonder if it does a good job of supporting version 68.* but not 78.* (which has NO support for legacy add-ons at all).

It also mentions:
Fixed an issue with specific folders in the Mozilla Thunderbird email options that shown invalid encoded characters and subfolders.
Fixed a potential problem while opening recurring appointments in external applications like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird.

Does the folder you are having problems with contain any attachments with file extensions that don't occur in the other folders? I'm wondering if CDS is having a problem due to file types it doesn't support. If so you might be able to exclude them.

If you can't figure out a workaround in a day or two I suggest you file a support ticket with Copernic. If you do that please post what thier answer is (or a link to it).

Kent Slimm
 
Posts: 91
Joined: December 4th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Post Posted September 14th, 2020, 8:41 am

Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Given that CDS does a fine job with all but one of my folders, it's hard to imagine that the TB version number is the culprit.
I filed a support ticket with Copernic right away. One of their tech reps seemed competent and very responsive; we had a lengthy exchange over a couple of weeks but he couldn't figure it out. Mostly he just recommended reindexing.
Your idea of looking for file extensions was interesting. The vast majority of attachments in this folder (as in all the others) are pdfs, but there are a handful of messages with .doc, .html, .xlsx, or .ics attachments. I suppose I could try to exclude the last two from indexing.
I'm wondering if - apart from attachments - there might be one corrupted email that happens to be in this folder and CDS stops indexing the contents of the folder every time it gets to that file. I don't suppose there's any way to find that (hypothetical) needle in the haystack (of 4500 messages)...?

tanstaafl
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 46834
Joined: July 30th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted September 14th, 2020, 9:43 am

"I don't suppose there's any way to find that (hypothetical) needle in the haystack (of 4500 messages)...?"

You've already rejected using the ImportExportTools add-on with a older version of Thunderbird ..... as too complicated.

You could try creating two child folders and copy half of the troublesome folder to each. See if they get completely indexed. If one doesn't get completely indexed copy half of it to two child folders.... Repeat until you find the culprit. Then try deleting that message in the original folder and compacting. If that doesn't help then merge the contents of the various known good child folders into a replacement folder.

Unfortunately you don't know that its just one message that is the culprit. But it wouldn't take long to verify the bulk of the messages are indexable and split the original folder into a completely indexable folder and a smaller troublesome folder.

Kent Slimm
 
Posts: 91
Joined: December 4th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Post Posted September 14th, 2020, 11:34 am

What a clever idea! I just created two new folders and moved half of the messages in the troublesome folder into each of them, then reindexed. Each of the new folders contains 2,000-2,500 messages. And CDS just indexed about 250 in each of them before stopping. So I guess you're right; it wasn't just one corrupt file (assuming that file corruption is what's going at all). And since I may be dealing with multiple stopping points, I don't know if continuing to split each of the two into even smaller folders will do much good. Ah, well -- at least I have 500 more messages indexed than I had to start with...

Return to Thunderbird Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: WaltS48 and 6 guests