Forwarded mails do not show in OWA

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BillAC

Forwarded mails do not show in OWA

Post by BillAC »

Something weird here: When I forward a message with Thunderbird via IMAP on server A to a colleague at company B that uses the Microsoft Exchange Server, he can see the forwarded message when he accesses the mail using Outlook. When using the web-based OWA interface, however, the forwarded message's text is missing. If I directly log into sever A (via a web interface) and forward the message from there, all is well both in Outlook and OWA at server B. Seems it has something to do with the Thunderbird. Has anybody else experienced this weirdness?
tanstaafl

Re: Forwarded mails do not show in OWA

Post by tanstaafl »

Does this problem only occur with forwarded messages or does it also occur with new messages that you send to somebody that uses an Exchange server?

Have the recipient look at the raw source of the forwarded message (see the actual HTML tags rather than the interpreted results etc.) and see if this is a just a display problem, or the content of the forwarded message are truly missing.
BillAC

Post by BillAC »

tanstaafl wrote:Does this problem only occur with forwarded messages or does it also occur with new messages that you send to somebody that uses an Exchange server?

Have the recipient look at the raw source of the forwarded message (see the actual HTML tags rather than the interpreted results etc.) and see if this is a just a display problem, or the content of the forwarded message are truly missing.
I did some tests. Forwarding an email in "delivery format: plain text only" works like a charm. Forwarding a message "delivery format: HTML" preserves any text - properly rendered - before the forwarded message as well as the forwarding information (mini-headers) but does not display the text of the forwarded message in OWA. A new message sent in HTML format is rendered properly. Forwarding as an attachment works as expected.
emq_72

Post by emq_72 »

Any news about this issue?, we are facing the same problem
Forwarded messages are shown correctly in Outlook but not in OWA (Exchange 2013 and/or Exchange 2019).
BillAC

Post by BillAC »

No news. I had to stop using Thunderbird and reluctantly switched to M$ Outlook. Incidentally, the code base is not at fault since Seamonkey works just fine.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You never confirmed whether this was just a display problem or not. i.e. if you look at the raw message source using Control-U is the missing text there?

"Incidentally, the code base is not at fault since Seamonkey works just fine."

The two projects share a mailnews codebase but my impression is it frequently takes a good while for SeaMonkey to adopt changes made by Thunderbird. The SeaMonkey project page also said in Sept. 2019 "The current Mozilla Gecko codebase has seen a flow of constant major changes and api removals in the last 2 years and is no longer really usable for our needs. By the end of the year the SeaMonkey project is expected to be completely independent of Mozilla." If they did that its likely to have side effects .
emq_72

Post by emq_72 »

It's not a display problem, it hapens with Firefox, Chrome and IE. If we inspect the raw code the missing text is not there, only a very big amount of html code (styles and more). It happens with reply or forward. If you create a new message and copy the full text it is displayed correctly.
It fails when the message is HTML, not clear text. And if you force in the forward to plain text it is displayed correctly.

I think Thunderbird write some header that Outlook and Thunderbird is able to ignore or understand but not the Exchange server.

Note: I have checked that also the Samsung mail client for Adroid is not able to display the message correctly.
BlopdSpul

Post by BlopdSpul »

We have the exact same problem:
The body of a forwarded mail (from Thunderbird) will not be displayed in OWA using any browser, but will be displayed in Thunderbird (so the information is still there, just cannot be displayed?). By setting the format to "plain text only", the forwarded message can also be seen in OWA, which isn't a real solution though.

Are there any updates on this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No. There might be a bug report about it but a quick search of bugzillas database didn't find one.

It would help if somebody posted a link to the raw message source (what you see with Control-U or view -> message source) of a message that has this problem.