Thunderbird 78 Not Showing Subject and Sender in New Mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rogerman

Thunderbird 78 Not Showing Subject and Sender in New Mail

Post by rogerman »

I am using Thunderbird 78.3.1 with 4 email accounts - 2 for my wife and 2 for myself - but since the new version 78 was installed when new mail is received into any of the accounts nothing shows under the Subject or From headings but a Green dot under the 2 black dots to the left of the From appears, one for every new email received.
I do not like clicking in the so-called empty Subject line in case it might be Junk email

I have searched high and low in Thunderbird to try to rectify the problem to show both Subject and From but all to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated. :x
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 78 Not Showing Subject and Sender in New Mai

Post by tanstaafl »

This problem only occurs for new mail in the inbox? i.e. already read mail in the inbox is displayed correctly.

If you read the new mail message does it display the subject and sender? If you're worried its unsafe to read one of those messages send yourself a message from one account to another.

In older versions there used to be a green dot if the message was unread but I don't think that occurs in version 60, 68 or 78. Please post a screen shot. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

* You could try deleting the xulstore.json (toolbar , window layout and size/position settings) and session.json (snapshot of the windows layout) files in the profile. When you restart Thunderbird it will use default values for the layout etc.

* You could try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if its a side effect of a add-on that doesn't work correctly with version 78.

* You could try repairing the folder (just repairs the folder listing) by right clicking on the folder in the folder pane, selecting properties and then pressing the repair folder button.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working
rogerman

Re: Thunderbird 78 Not Showing Subject and Sender in New Mai

Post by rogerman »

Thank you very much for your help. The initial problem was resolved by repairing the inbox folder as you suggested.
However, I then found I could not send emails from my main account with a long error message appearing. This was impossible to resolve so my solution was to delete the account and all emails within then set up the account again. All worked well and I am now sorted.

Many thanks again.

rogerman :D