MozillaZine

Error attaching image file

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
halcyonweb

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 1:22 am

This error message relates to embedded images in replying to a normally received email. So in trying to reply to an email with icons/logos etc., not attaching an image to the reply the following message is received:
"Sending of the message failed.
There was an error attaching hbeclebkkpndiohg.png. Please check that you have access to the file."

And then for the same draft the following message:
"Unable to save your message as a draft.
There was an error attaching hcjcdeeephhaljlg.png. Please check that you have access to the file."

This type of problem seems to be not uncommon and goes back a fair way. I'm using Thunderbird 78.3.2 (32-bit) on Windows 7, and have been for many,many years, but this is a recent problem. I've compacted all folders, deleted .msf files, have tried running with all addons disabled, have run with AVG off -- all to no avail. there are 128 files in Inbox and 16 in Sent.

I actually can't see any image files in the email. What is going on with TB? This is so frustrating.

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 3:18 am

Check tools -> options -> privacy & security -> mail content -> exceptions. If you're using a version earlier than 78 look in wherever you privacy settings are for what web sites Thunderbird shouldn't display remote images for.

halcyonweb

Post Posted October 12th, 2020, 11:13 pm

I'm using Thunderbird 78.3.2. Allow remote content was not selected. Should then under exceptions Allow for each email address/website I need to allow so that remote images will work?

I have selected allow remote content and put the email's reply address as an allow exception BUT still get the same error message (different image name?):
There was an error attaching kjdonmabmkjebdgg.png. Please check that you have access to the file."

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 13th, 2020, 8:53 am

All remote images are normally disabled by default. You can can temporarily display remote images in a message by pressing the options button in the yellow warning banner and selecting "show remote content in this message". But if you want to see those remote images later on (or in other messages from the same sender) you need to either use the options button to permanently enable images from them or use the exceptions button in the privacy&security -> mail contents settings to do that

Are you using a signature file that has a link to a remote image?
Is this problem occurring when composing a new message or just when replying to a message? One reason why I ask is you said reply address, not From address.

halcyonweb

Post Posted October 13th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Yes I'm aware of selecting "show remote content in this message". The original email I'm trying to reply to had no images I could see. No not using signature file. Yes was only occurring when replying to the From address.

I think I've solved the problem.

There were probably two separate issues.
1) Initially the problem was before I had selected to allow remote content and put the email's From address as an allow exception. The only image I could see was a screenshot jpg residing on my Desktop and that I inserted in the reply email I was attempting to send (that resulted in the error message). So Solution: allow remote content and put the email's From address as an allow exception.
2) The Draft email wouldn't save (giving the similar error message), so I had saved the reply email content as a html file. After I had done the selection and exception, I then created a new reply, pasting in the content of the html file (copy and paste). And again on attempting to send the reply the error message resulted.

So I have just replied with text only and added the jpg file as an attachment -- off it went no problems! So Solution: Don't copy content with an inline image in a html file and paste into email to be sent. Reinsert? the image or attach to send.

halcyonweb

Post Posted October 13th, 2020, 8:37 pm

NO! Not solved! In attempting to reply to an email with images (a picture, logos etc.) that I can see, they don't show up in the reply email and of course after trying to send I get the
There was an error attaching 'whatever'.jpg. Please check that you have access to the file."

tanstaafl

Post Posted October 13th, 2020, 10:04 pm

If you don't see even an outline of the images the problem might be that your Composition & Addressing settings default to sending a plain text message, so when you reply to a HTML message it gets converted to plain text, which removes the images. If that's whats happening, simply hold down the Shift key when clicking on Reply to temporarily toggle the account setting to have it compose a HTML message.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542872#c11 is incredibly old but might be relevant. Can you copy& paste the headers for the embedded image? Control-U or view -> message source will display the raw message source. I'm looking to see if something like Content-Disposition: inline; filename="2cool.gif"was present or not. If its omitted that might generate the error message.

--------------D9C5488DA32EB0316CBBA13A
Content-Type: image/jpeg;
name="images5.duckduckgo.com.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <part1.4708CB88.E65453C8@fastmail.fm>
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename="images5.duckduckgo.com.jpg"

/9j/4QAyRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAABAJiCAgAOAAAAGgAAAAAAAABHcmFudCBDb2xsaWVyAAAA
/+wAEUR1Y2t5AAEABAAAAEgAAP/hBE1odHRwOi8vbnMuYWRvYmUuY29tL3hhcC8xLjAvADw/

is an excerpt from a message which has a embedded image. Notice the Content-Disposition: header that specifies inline (rather than attachment) and the filename (despite the image file being embedded). The two long rows of letters all run together are the beginning of the encoded image.

Return to Thunderbird Support