SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAILS

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
moforules

SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAILS

Post by moforules »

Hi people I have been using thunderbird for years it's the best email client I have used. BUT 3-4 days ago I cannot send or receive emails, all the settings are good. It is installed on my desktop and laptop, the problem is with the one on my desktop. I have to completely delete it and reinstall it and it works great for the day but use it the next day same thing won't send or receive. Thunderbird on my laptop works perfectly even with the latest updates everyday, I downloaded other email clients and have no problem on my desktop but I want thunderbird not any other crap.

Mofo
DanRaisch

Re: SENDING AND RECIEVING EMAILS

Post by DanRaisch »

A bit more information would be helpful here.
What version of Thunderbird are you running on the desktop?
What error messages are you seeing when sending fails?
What error messages are you seeing when you click on "Get Messages"?
moforules

Post by moforules »

I have version 83.0b3 (32-bit)...When checking mail at the bottom left corner it shows checking mail server capabilities I do not get any errors it does not download any new messages. I get a error message when trying to send an email it pops up 10 seconds or so it states (your messge was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder due to network or file errors. You can retry or save message locally to local folders/sent (my email address). When this happens I totally remove thunderbird and clean all trace of it then do a fresh install and works perfectly until the next day it repeats the problem. I have an exact copy of thunderbird on my laptop exact settings and works day in and day out.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

One suggestion would be to avoid working with beta versions like 84.0b3 and stick to the release channel versions, the most recent being 78.4.3. Beta versions are much more likely to have bugs, regressions, or problems of any sort than the release versions and are intended for those who wish to using the bleeding edge of the software.
When this happens I totally remove thunderbird and clean all trace of it then do a fresh install and works perfectly until the next day it repeats the problem.
With symptoms like that it really doesn't sound like an issue with Thunderbird itself. If you are not making changes to the program, it's hard to see how it work work up on installation and then fail the next day. What security software are you running on problem system? Are you running any sort of clean up utilities (like Ccleaner) on that system?
moforules

Post by moforules »

DanRaisch wrote:One suggestion would be to avoid working with beta versions like 84.0b3 and stick to the release channel versions, the most recent being 78.4.3. Beta versions are much more likely to have bugs, regressions, or problems of any sort than the release versions and are intended for those who wish to using the bleeding edge of the software.
When this happens I totally remove thunderbird and clean all trace of it then do a fresh install and works perfectly until the next day it repeats the problem.
With symptoms like that it really doesn't sound like an issue with Thunderbird itself. If you are not making changes to the program, it's hard to see how it work work up on installation and then fail the next day. What security software are you running on problem system? Are you running any sort of clean up utilities (like Ccleaner) on that system?
No Ccleaner. Desktop and laptop have the same security software, identical programs nothing new added. I installed the 78.4.3 so I'll see tomorrow if it works or not. Same problem occurs. I installed ms outlook at the same time and outlook works properly day after day so it can't be computer software fault...
moforules

Post by moforules »

Well I got it to work by changing the connection security setting to none and I am able to send and receive no problem. I tried starttls and ssl/tls and stopped receiving and error when sending. I guess I'll have to wait for another update maybe that will fix it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, you can’t use a security setting not supported by your email provider. Who is that email provider ?
MaartenW

Re: SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAILS

Post by MaartenW »

I'm having the exact same problem since yesterday afternoon. Until then all mail was received without problems.

For gmail after some time the warning '[StringID netTimeoutError?]' is received.
For other providers some signal is getting out (seen from the tas manager), but nothing happens.
For these providers mails are not received unless the security is changed from SSL/TLS to nothing.

W10Pro 64bits TB 78.5.0
moforules

Post by moforules »

DanRaisch wrote:Well, you can’t use a security setting not supported by your email provider. Who is that email provider ?

COGECO CABLE in southern Ontario Canada. My laptop has the security settings is set starttls and ssl/tls and works properly but my desktop I have to deselect starttls and ssl/tls to work.
przytula.guy

Post by przytula.guy »

since this morning I have the same issue
windows 10 pro thunderbird 78.5.0
not receiving any mail
I tried create a new mail : it is sending, but I get a message it can not be copied to sent folder
I tried the basic MS mail application and there I can see all my mail....
when pressing : get messages - below I see : connect to ...
I have different mail addresses from different companies and all have the same problem : gmail/yahoo/skynet......
any idea ?
Best Regards, Guy Przytula
przytula.guy

Post by przytula.guy »

I also tried setting security to none as indicated by other entry and in that case I see all mail
best regards, Guy
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

moforules wrote:COGECO CABLE in southern Ontario Canada. My laptop has the security settings is set starttls and ssl/tls and works properly but my desktop I have to deselect starttls and ssl/tls to work.
What security software are you running on the laptop? ...on the desktop?
saratojo

Post by saratojo »

Same thing happening for me starting yesterday.
Can't get mail from any ISP or GMail.
Sending works OK.

I use Eset Security Suite. If I disable security, it still can't get any email.

Using EMclient or Outlook instead of Thunderbird, everything works fine.

If, in Thunderbird, I change server security to "none", I can get email successfully. Security set at none is not an acceptable long-term strategy.

This is true on three different computers in our house and on my son's computer at his house.

If not fixed quickly, I will have to abandon Thunderbird.
MaartenW

Post by MaartenW »

For those who use ESET as internetprotection this link is usefull:
https://forum.eset.com/topic/26517-prob ... ent-125376
saratojo

Post by saratojo »

What MaartenW suggests, works.
To fix the problem do this:
Go to Eset program
<F5> to bring up advanced setup