Filter Incoming Messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Filter Incoming Messages

Post by orealius »

I have a primary and secondary account on TB (60.9). I'm trying to have TB transfer all messages incoming from the secondary account to the main account. I'm using the message filter option....setting up for 'getting new mail' and 'manually run.' The 'to' is the secondary account / the 'is' is the e-mail address of that account. I select 'move messages to the primary account Inbox...but they never get there...even running it manually, Any help appreciated.

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Filter Incoming Messages

Post by tanstaafl »

Enable the filter log in tools -> message filters , try again, and see if the filter log claims it did anything. If it claims nothing happens temporarily modify the filter to do something visible such as set a colored tag on a message rather than move it so that its easier to debug your criteria (what triggers the desired action).

Thunderbird has no concept of primary and secondary accounts. Do they each have different email addresses?
orealius

Post by orealius »

Thanks for the help. The filter is now working...sort of. I have set it to "move" messages to the primary account...which it does. But it keeps the message in the other account, instead of just moving it and deleting it from the sending account. Doesn't "move" mean deleting as well as moving the message?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Doesn't "move" mean deleting as well as moving the message?"

"Move" typically copies the message and then deletes the original.
orealius

Post by orealius »

For some reason it is copying the message apprproately but not deleting it from the sending account.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Ccorrection: The message is not being deleted from the account that the message is supposed to be moved from.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Okay, I got that working....BUT I have to set it to 'copy' in order for the message to show in both accounts. If the message is deleted from the original recipient Inbox it is also DELETED FROM MY
I-PHONE! Does anyone know how to UNSYCHRONIZE the mail in TB from my I-Phone? I've tried Apple Support but they tell me the only way to do this is to delete the mail account on my phone!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"If the message is deleted from the original recipient Inbox it is also DELETED FROM MY
I-PHONE! "

I assume the iphone is using a IMAP account . If that is true, its just doing what you told it to do. Its only POP accounts where if you delete a message in the inbox that you can configure it to not delete the original on the mail server as a side effect.

Are you using POP or IMAP accounts in Thunderbird? If POP uncheck tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings "leave messages on server -> UNTIL I DELETE THEM.