MozillaZine

Installing 2nd version on another directory

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SteelyDon

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Mozilla help advises that installing another version in another (rather than default) directory can be done. (1) How do i direct the download there?
(2) Does it look around and find thew existing profile and copy it, or what?
Thank you.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 7:26 pm

It doesn’t matter what directory you download the installer to. What matters is to which directory you direct the installation when you launch the installer. Thunderbird will normally try to install to the C drive under Program Files. If you create a target directory before starting the installer you can select that as the location for the program files to be installed. That prevents overwriting the other version’s files.
As to the profile, what’s your purpose in installing the second version? If you are interested in evaluating a newer version and being able to return to the older if unhappy with the new, you don’t want to use the same profile with both the older and newer, particularly if the newer is 78.x. That version involves changes to some files which would make it difficult to revert to an older version.

SteelyDon

Post Posted November 19th, 2020, 8:22 pm

I now know that V78 mucked up every one of my ISP's customers who used Tbird with auto-updates installed, this because of (a) connection-configuration changes, and (b) the profiles mess. I didn't know, and tried various clumsy approaches before I found out that V78 makes profiles incompatible with any older versions. By the time I figured that out, I had two older versions installed and uninstalled, wifey's professional-personal active profile was dead (but saved to a desktop folder) and not being hackish, I still have probably another two to four hours to go: get 78 installed again, and swap the backup profile into place. It's a day wasted.

Return to Thunderbird Support