MozillaZine

Unable to log in

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lpvmc

Post Posted November 21st, 2020, 9:37 am

Hi,

In the process of preparing a new computer I also have installed a new version of Thunderbird. Adding three accounts all went well with two of them but I get an error for the third one:

checking password > unable to login at server. Probably wrong configuration, username or password.

Since I did note all the relevant information I think all is well completed, but....

I would like to make all the incoming mails etc. of that account available so I want to use the same account, as you will understand.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Leo.

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

Who is the email provider?
How is that account set up, as POP or IMAP?

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 4:02 am

Next time you move to a new PC I suggest you copy the old profile and the profiles.ini file to the same location on the new PC rather than creating a new profile. If you used the same windows username, same version of Thunderbird and installed Thunderbird in the same location as before it shouldn't be able to tell that anything changed (i.e. it should just work).

What type of authentication (normal password or OAuth) are you trying to use for the troublesome account? Your problem might be that you're using OAuth2 and cookies aren't enabled for the appropriate domain. If you're using gmail that would be the google.com domain.

lpvmc

Post Posted November 22nd, 2020, 5:36 am

Hi all,

1. In the end the problem appearee to be a wrong password.
2. Thanks for the suggestions tanstaafl?

I want to transfer my local folders and think I understand now how to do it.

KR, Leo

Return to Thunderbird Support