Working with Seamonkey email folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CapnVideo

Working with Seamonkey email folders

Post by CapnVideo »

I have been using Seamonkey for a long time.
Recently I went without ISP for three months during a move and while waiting for FiberOptic services in the new town.
I collected email via webmail from my host via POP3 on a laptop at the library, donut shop or wherever I could borrow wifi and conducted business sort of as usual.

Now I am trying to find a way to copy the "sent" items from my mail laptop to my desktop which is now using Thunderbird.
short of emailing myself 3 months of sent items and moving them (they would all be "from" me and search would be hindered) anyone have a suggestion?

THX
CapnVideo
DanRaisch

Re: Working with Seamonkey email folders

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as the process target would apparently be Thunderbird rather than SeaMonkey.

That should actually be very simple. On the laptop (and with SeaMonkey closed), navigate to the SeaMonkey profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey ) and then to the \Mail\ sub-directory. Within that directory you should find a child directory, the name of which should include reference to your email provider. It could be something like pop.gmail.com. Within that directory there will be a pair of files named Sent and Sent.msf. Copy the file Sent to a removable medium and take that to the desktop system, saving it with a different name, perhaps "Transferred". With Thunderbird closed, navigate to the TB profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ), specifically to the sub-directory Local Folders under the \Mail directory. Copy that renamed file from the removable media into the Local Folders sub-directory and then launch Thunderbird. You will find a new folder within the Local Folders structure with the name of the transferred file. From there you can copy the messages into whichever account folder you want to use.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you don't feel comfortable copying the mbox and *.msf files to an existing accounts local directory in your Thunderbird profile use the ImportExportTools NG add-on to import the mbox files. Mbox files are named after the folder, contain the messages, and have no file extension.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders hasn't been updated to use the newer version of the add-on (it links to ImportExportTools) but the basics haven't changed. It should help.
CapnVideo

Post by CapnVideo »

Brilliant!
I knew it would be somethng simple that my frazzled mind couldn't digest currently.

I'll give it a go this evening.

Now if only I could get all of 2018 back... another issue for another time.