undeletable 01-01-1970 blank emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Zarnia1

undeletable 01-01-1970 blank emails

Post by Zarnia1 »

I keep getting junk email with the date 01/01/1970 they have no subject or correspondent and cannot be deleted, moved or marked as read.

Searching the forum I see a suggestions to compact folders but my Thunderbird is set to automatically do that already and the threads are all at least 10 years old, so I don't know how reliable they are now.
DanRaisch

Re: undeletable 01-01-1970 blank emails

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Re: undeletable 01-01-1970 blank emails

Post by tanstaafl »

01/01/1970 means its missing the Date header. That could be due to a bad message but its a common symptom of a corrupt folder. Many of the messages in that folder are probably either just fragments or non-recoverable if its a POP account. The advice from 10 years ago is probably still valid (other than we no longer recommend using Mozbackup to backup your profile). See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... s#Real_fix

Compacting a folder can be dangerous once a folder is significantly corrupt because it may have problems figuring out where a deleted message ends and physically delete other messages as a side effect. If you are extremely unlucky that can cause you to lose every message in a folder (if it tries to physically delete the first message in the mbox file and can't figure out where it ends)