Tip for; TB spam filter, private IMAP server?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
curt504

Tip for; TB spam filter, private IMAP server?

Post by curt504 »

Thanks to all who support TB. I've used TB since the version was down in the teens.

I host my own IMAP server that agregates several email sources and I don't have access to installing a server side spam solution.

Any tips for all the spam I'm getting? I've setup the spamassisin bla bla but since no upstream provider is adding those headers its not going to be helpful.

80% of my spam the senders domain has no DNS. just gibeish from email and domain. I'm frustrated that there's no local integral or plugin that does client side simple filterig for has DNS Y/N, is sender a ".ru" domain (and a dozen others) etc and just prefix the subject with --spam--... or delete or something. This is Feb 2021 for goodness.
:)

Thanks to all, curt
LIMPET235

Re: Tip for; TB spam filter, private IMAP server?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you attempted to deal with the issue using Message Filters? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
curt504

Post by curt504 »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you attempted to deal with the issue using Message Filters? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
tnx! Yes since I'm an early TB user I've been adding "delete" filter rules and have 100's and 100's of match rules with wild cards. yes I can start deleting *@*.ru etc etc. But why hasn't this been packaged integrally to TB? A plug in? Just checking for DNS of the senders domain would remove so much of my spam.

When its a domain the looks like has DNS I set as junk or add a delete rule. Tnx for that!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suspect the the reason the capability you ask for isn't built-in is because they prefer to leverage the user's email provider doing that as much as possible, and its not a typical feature of email clients. They're not going to waste resources making life easier for the very small percentage of users that run their own servers.

There used to be a ThunderSec add-on that provided "client-side checks for DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and Sender Policy Framework (SPF) violations." However, its a legacy add-on that will not work with version 68 and later.

"Just checking for DNS of the senders domain would remove so much of my spam."

Are you saying the sender's Received: header has a non-valid domain? What header are you checking?

I'm used to thinking that you need to either do a DNS lookup to get the public key needed to decrypt the DKIM hash signature back to the original text and verify that the message still has that same text or to get the senders IP address so you can check it against a blacklist.

"I've setup the spamassisin bla bla but since no upstream provider is adding those headers its not going to be helpful."

SpamAssassin supports DNS based blacklists. If you enable that and the DNS lookup fails wouldn't that do what you want?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... Blocklists