Not all E-mail accounts downloading

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Crabble

Not all E-mail accounts downloading

Post by Crabble »

I have several e-mail accounts set up in TB (latest version) since I reinstalled it.

However, I find that the two non-Gmail addresses are not downloading e-mails when I click "Get Messages" unless I manually download them from each of the two accounts affected (both hosted on the same server).

In both cases, uninstalling Avast, as recommended on this thread, did not help:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14884331

Any suggestions?
tanstaafl

Re: Not all E-mail accounts downloading

Post by tanstaafl »

You're using 78.9.0? (latest version can be ambiguous as releases are frequently not available to everybody at the same time, in order to test on a large number of users first).

See if this problem is due to an add-on by trying again in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled).

Try deleting the global-messages-db.sqlite file in your profile and restarting. If that file becomes corrupted it can cause your problem, though I'd expect that to effect all accounts if that was the cause. After you restart it will take a while for the search index to be rebuilt in the background. While that occurs Thunderbird may be sluggish.
Crabble

Post by Crabble »

Thankyou. I have restarted in safe mode and it seems to be working better.

I cannot help but feel though that it is something to do with TB thinking the domain for the is e-mail account is insecure when in reality there is an SSL attached to the domain.

Are there settings somewhere in TB where I can tweak this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Recent versions are stricter about what version of TLS is used. You can workaround that by changing security.tls.version.min from 3 (default) to a lower value but you didn't get an error message stating that it could not make a secure connection. So I'd focus on add-ons first.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.*
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Are the accounts POP or IMAP? Same thing started happening with one of my POP accounts and I finally found the solution in the Account settings. For some reason under the Server Settings the check mark had disappeared from the Automatically download new messages option. Put the check mark back and it all started working properly again.
Crabble

Post by Crabble »

I have taken all the steps suggested in the posts above and the issue persists.

@Gome Postal the two accounts affected are indeed POP.

However, I looked at the possible issue you mention and the "Automatically download the messages" option was checked for each.

I think the problem lies in the security certificate for the domain. TB produces a dialogue box when I (manually) download the messages for these two affected accounts, saying that the Certificate applies to a different domain than the one specified. I wonder if this is because a friend host smy website and e-mail addresses on his server. I will check this with him.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

if you try to make a secure connection to a POP server which uses a certificate for the wrong domain you should get some sort of "security error" popup window. See if it lets you create a security exception (a way to say I understand there is a risk but it should ignore the problem).
Crabble

Post by Crabble »

Yes, it does offer me the option to "Confirm security exception" but I have to do this each time and I have to download each account manually every time I open a new TN session. The exception seems to apply fr the duration of each TB session, but only that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any type of clean up utility like Ccleaner?
Crabble

Post by Crabble »

No, not running CC Cleaner or anything similar...I've uninstalled anything like that.
gkdiamond

Post by gkdiamond »

I see this same issue as described here and in the thread: Thunderbird doesn't get all mail - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3066900
I only have one POP account and one IMAP account. I rarely get email from the IMAP account and very rarely go to the server so I can't speak for the IMAP account but my POP account (Juno email server) has this issue. I don't remember when I first noticed it but it has been a while. Just a few days ago there were two new emails on the server that had not downloaded to TB. I clicked on Get Messages but it just said there are no new messages. The PC is running TB version 68.12.1. I booted up a second PC running TB version 78.10.0 and it pulled down the two messages below the two newest ones (that it had not yet received) but not the two newest ones. Clicking on Get Messages just gave me the same "no new messages" as version 68. I finally received the two message about 8 hours later.

Edit: I do run CCleaner for cleanup and registry scans but only once in a while manually and none of the extra fluff runs either automatically or manually. I just turned off the options to delete Internet Cache, Internet History, Cookies, Download History and Last Download Location for Thunderbird when running CCleaner to see if it makes any difference.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Ccleaner should not be permitted to touch anything related to Thunderbird or Firefox.

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.