Spam in Thunderbird but not in Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rotcod

Spam in Thunderbird but not in Gmail

Post by Rotcod »

I use Thunderbird as my email client. I use Gmail mainly. Recently I have been receiving a lot of spam in the Thunderbird Gmail folder but when I check Gmail directly I cannot find any of that spam. I cannot understand this and wonder if anyone else has experienced this anomaly and/or found a solution to it. As far as I can see this issue has not been raised before but apologies if I am wrong. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Spam in Thunderbird but not in Gmail

Post by DanRaisch »

That shouldn't be surprising as there are two different systems reviewing the messages to determine which are junk and which are not. For one thing, Thunderbird does not use the term "Spam" in any way. Thunderbird identifies messages as Junk if they fail the built-in review algorithms. ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls )
What version of Thunderbird are you using?
Rotcod

Re: Spam in Thunderbird but not in Gmail

Post by Rotcod »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I am using version 78.9.1 (32 bit). All the rubbish emails go into a folder marked "Spam" in the gmail account. The puzzling thing to me is that none of theses particular unwanted emails, often repetitive, are present in my email account in Google or on my ipad. I do get the odd junk email that is present in all manifestations of my gmail account as I have ever since I started using Thunderbird several years ago.