Changing font size in message list

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tbirdphil

Changing font size in message list

Post by tbirdphil »

I am on windows 10 running thunderbird 78.9. I have been trying (for days) to change the font size in the message list pane to a larger size so i can actually read it.

i have scoured the internet for 'solutions' to this problem and have tried them all to no avail - the font size doesn't get changed.
in c:\users\(username)\appdata\roaming\thunderbird\profiles\jfd8d.default-release\chrome\userChrome i created a userChrome.css file per instructions i found and inserted the following code:

@namespace url(“https://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatek ... s.only.xul”);

/* Make all the default font sizes 10 pt: */
{
font-size: 16pt !important
}

i've also tried many other variations on the above that i've found but nothing seems to work. If anyone can offer any suggestions to make this work, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(i haven't done .css coding before but it looks an awful lot like rexx format on os/2 operating system, the best i remember)
JYLD

Re: Changing font size in message list

Post by JYLD »

The userChrome.css file goes in the "chrome" directory and NOT in a subdirectory named userChrome.
tbirdphil

Post by tbirdphil »

my apologies - a typo. i did have it in the subdirectory chrome, no userchrome. should have read .....\chrome\userChrome
tbirdphil

Post by tbirdphil »

i read somewhere also to change this in the config file to help change the font size:

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

changed the value from 'false' to 'true'. this also did not do anything...
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

The css you have above is not correct.

Code: Select all

/*Franks Global UI font.....*/
       * {
          font-size: 20px !important;
         }
tbirdphil

Post by tbirdphil »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Apparently that first line I had in there '@namespace.....' was causing all the problems. It was in all the examples I found. As soon as I took that out and used your code (and I tried it using 20pt too instead of 20px), it worked great! Thanks again and Happy Easter to you!
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Happy Easter to you as well. Glad I could help.