Thunderbird config

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
syssept

Thunderbird config

Post by syssept »

This is an old post, but I work on a test environment where we don't want to use DNS for many reasons.

"Thunderbird is not designed for your environment"?
Why doesn't Thunderbird observe the standard rules like
- follow nsswitch.conf
- and use hosts first if configured like that (and it is)

I've been a TB user since almost the start.
It's frustrating that an OSS like Thunderbird, which should be the ideal tool for pro/test configurations (especially on Linux),
- doesn't allow much config besides the rigid Add Email Account wizard
- doesn't give info about why it failed to create the account, so my guess was DNS but could be something else (maybe there is a log somewhere that I could not find)

Yves
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird config

Post by DanRaisch »

Your post was split from its original location as that thread died six years ago. In addition, while the subject line of that thread was "Thunderbird Bug", no specific bug was identified in the thread.
doesn't allow much config besides the rigid Add Email Account wizard
You many not have found it yet but Thunderbird provides access to numerous configuration options. Menu path Edit->Preferences->General->Config Editor button at the bottom of the right hand pane.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Thunderbird allows a user to create email accounts, calendars, address books, chat accounts, feeds and newsgroup accounts.

You probably would find why it didn't create an account in the Error Console using Tools > Developer Tools > Error Console.

Users should also read the release notes.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I never even heard of nsswitch.conf and I've used several dozen email clients over the years. Seems like its a GNU C Library specific config file. I think your "standard rules" are really for a niche.

You can add accounts using the config editor though I recommend against it (requires you to understand too much about how settings are stored and doesn't let you leverage the Mozilla ISP database). There was a Add Mail Account Manually add-on that was a useful alternative to the account wizard but its a legacy add-on (won't work with version 68 and later).

The built-in error logging needs improvement. There is nothing for startup errors (unless they are network protocol or database specific and you enabled the optional session logging) and the account wizard would benefit from a dedicated optional log file (like message filters has). There is too much chatter in the error console and most of it is too low level.
PTRPRO

Post by PTRPRO »

[/quote]
You many not have found it yet but Thunderbird provides access to numerous configuration options. Menu path Edit->Preferences->General->Config Editor button at the bottom of the right hand pane.[/quote]

Can't get to Config Editor that way. Is there an alternate?
The best baseball players are only right on a third of their at bats.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That may be because the menu path given was for a Linux installation of Thunderbird. Try Tools->Options->General->Config Editor button at the bottom of the right hand pane.
PTRPRO

Post by PTRPRO »

Aha! Thanks.
The best baseball players are only right on a third of their at bats.
syssept

Post by syssept »

tanstaafl wrote:I never even heard of nsswitch.conf and I've used several dozen email clients over the years. Seems like its a GNU C Library specific config file. I think your "standard rules" are really for a niche
Gnu C lib nsswitch.conf a "niche", I wouldn't call it that way! It's been there for a long time and many apps rely on it (Linux).
Thanks for your replies anyway, I see that the TB support is very well alive and that's good news ;)