Not Checking Mail on Startup

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i_am_jim

Not Checking Mail on Startup

Post by i_am_jim »

Most of my accounts are marked to check for mail when I start TB. Recently that stopped working and I have to check manually after statrup.

This happened a few months ago but began working later.
DanRaisch

Re: Not Checking Mail on Startup

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

POP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How many messages in the Inbox folders of each of your accounts?
Try right clicking on the name of the Inbox folders and selecting "Properties", then clicking on "Repair folder". Do that for each account's Inbox.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I have 17 accounts from 4 hosts. I'm not sure how much a count will mean. There are only 54 messages in one of my two main mail boxes but by far the most of the mail that come into that account filters are used to transfer it into other folders. One of the folders that some of this mail is sent to also gets mail transferred from the other three accounts.

The mailbox on the other major account is empty because all incoming mail is transferred to other folders.

Following your suggestion I did the Repair thing for each account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

With a POP type account, message files that see high levels of incoming and outgoing messages (like the Inbox) are at higher risk for file corruption. Whether messages are deleted or moved to some other folder, Thunderbird does not immediately compact the initial folder but marks the messages as deleted and does not display them. Compacting Folders Over time this can lead to a variety of problems.. Hopefull, the Repair folder process will restore the Inbox folders to eliminate any potential problems.
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

Repairing mailboxes did not fix the problem
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.