Emails and folders disappear after migration to new pc

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rechtjc

Emails and folders disappear after migration to new pc

Post by rechtjc »

Hi Thunderbirders,

I've migrated my TB profile from an existing Win10 PC to a new Win10 PC using the process of copying the roaming profile TB directories per the profile migration support article.

I've installed the same version of thunderbird (78.8.1, 32 bit) on the new PC just to ensure the same environment.

When I start TB for the first time on the new PC I see all the folders and emails that are on the original PC.

I then shutdown TB, and restart it again - when it comes up all the folders and emails are gone, but the account profiles are still present.

Each account only now shows 1 Inbox folder with nothing in it - any other folders have disappeared.

I've copied it again, and repeated the process but the same thing happens - first start of TB is OK, then second start onwards all the folders and emails are gone from all the accounts.

I've tried starting in safe mode on initial and second time start-up's - same deal.

I'm after any suggestions or tips to resolve - this seems different to the other articles dealing with emails and folders vanishing as they appear to be occurring on existing installs, not after a migration to a new PC.

One thing I did notice - if I look at folder properties it reports size on disk as 0 on the new PC, but a realistic size on the original PC. Is there another location that may need to be copied to get locally stored data across ?

Thanks for your support.
DanRaisch

Re: Emails and folders disappear after migration to new pc

Post by DanRaisch »

In copying files from the original installation to the new, did you update the profiles.inii file to point to the correct directory on the new system? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file