What is *default-default profile? (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
fhr5896

What is *default-default profile? (Linux)

Post by fhr5896 »

I'm running Thunderbird 78.8.1 on Fedora 33 and I've (only) recently noticed that during profile migration that was part of Thunderbird 68 installation, my original *default profile was migrated into the profile called *default-default. This surprised me because I thought that the standard naming convention with new profile scheme prescribes, that part of the name after hyphen should refer to release channel. Thunderbird installation on my Windows notebook follows this convention. The same is true for Firefox installations on both Linux PC and Windows notebook. All of those installations migrated my original *default profile into the profile called *default-release.

Is this non-standard profile name something that could posed problem down the line? Should I maybe rename it to *default-release? I haven't had any issues with Thunderbird whatsoever and I've only noticed it by coincidence. I use package manager (dnf) to install and update both Thunderbird and Firefox on my Linux machine.
tanstaafl

Re: What is *default-default profile? (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

I never heard of this before but looking at my profiles somehow I have one named default-default too. I don't have any problems. AFAIK the name is strictly a convenient tag for you to help identify which profile is which (as long as its unique and has no illegal characters its value doesn't matter). I'm using Windows 10.

However, if you're worried rename it by going to help -> troubleshooting information, click on about:profiles, and press the rename button next to the profile you want to rename.
fhr5896

Re: What is *default-default profile? (Linux)

Post by fhr5896 »

Oh, I did not realize that one can actually change the part of the name after hyphen via standard profile renaming facilities such as about:profiles or profile manager. That makes it very unlikely that *default-default profile name will cause any problem down the line. Or to be more precise, if it did any cause problem, it would most likely be a general bug affecting any custom profile name.