Unable to retrieve mail in some accounts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
David Austin

Unable to retrieve mail in some accounts

Post by David Austin »

Newbie here - so apologies in advance for unfamiliarity with the conventions of this forum.

I'm a long time user of Thunderbird. I have the latest version, 78.10.0 (32-bit), installed (on Windows 7).
I have 5 accounts set up:
- 2 on one domain (different e-mail addresses)
- 1 each of two further domains
- 1 gmail

As of yesterday, I can't send or retrieve e-mail from the first two of these (the two one the same domain).
Clicking on the inbox shows the existing contents, but just results in a whirly wheel.
Clicking on the Trash folders for these two accounts shows them both empty, although each indicates that there is 1 document Trash (1). Webmail confirms that the Trash is empty.
Clicking on other folders shows the contents as normal.

The other accounts function normally.

The error console shows:
08:49:34.510 NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: 2 ActivityManager.jsm:127
getActivity resource://gre/modules/ActivityManager.jsm:127
removeActivity resource://gre/modules/ActivityManager.jsm:80
onFolderRemovedFromQ resource:///modules/activity/autosync.jsm:244
_timerCallback resource:///modules/AppIdleManager.jsm:30

and
08:53:29.336 [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.readUTF8URI]" nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/L10nRegistry.jsm :: L10nRegistry.loadSync :: line 658" data: no]

I haven't changed any settings, and they look normal.
I can retrieve e-mail using web mail, and using K9 on Android.

I have the following addons:
- Display Mail User Agent T
- Google Calendar Plugin
- Identity Chooser
- Phoenity Buttons
- Phoenity Icons
- Xpunge

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
I'm happy to supply logs if you tell me what to send, and where to get it from.

David
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to retrieve mail in some accounts

Post by tanstaafl »

See if its due to one of your add-ons by trying again after "help -> restart with add-ons disabled". I've found old bug reports for Firefox where NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH errors were traced to add-ons.

Perhaps the Xpunge add-on broke in one of the last minor updates to 78.
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Thanks so much for getting back to me tanstaafl.

Disabling add-ons didn't help, I'm afraid, although I have a hunch that the Xpunge add-on has resulted in something being out of synch.
The Trash folders for the two problem accounts both indicate that there is one document there, a 1 in brackets, but there's nothing in the folder (confirmed in webmail), and Xpunge is an add-on which empties the trash . . .

I have some error log details in a text file. I could put them in the reply, but an attachment would be better, if I could figure out how to add an attachment.

David
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Are there any measures can take to recover this?
- delete and recreate the accounts?
- re-install Thunderbird? I tried this and it didn't help
- delete the profiles for the offending accounts?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you using IMAP or POP accounts?

I suggest you backup the complete contents of the profile as a precaution. Don't use a automated program, go to help -> troubleshooting information, click on open folder (profile folder) and it will open windows explorer at the current profile. Copy&paste it somewhere safe.
David Austin

Post by David Austin »

Thanks, again, tanstaafl.
All 5 accounts are IMAP.
I shall try saving all the profiles, then deleting the two which are not working.
Most kind of you to give this your attention.
David
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It sounds like you are using one profile per account. You can have multiple accounts in a profile. I have eight in mine. Having multiple accounts in a profile makes it easier to keep your address book up to date and is a simpler configuration to maintain.

You might try setting "when I delete a message" in the two broken accounts/profiles from "move it to trash" to "just mark it as deleted". When you delete a message that marks a message as deleted, (with most email providers) draws a line through it in the folder listing, doesn't hide it, and doesn't move it to the trash folder. Try using that for a while and see if you are comfortable with it. How much time you have to review the deleted messages depends upon whether you have "clean up ("expunge") inbox on exit" checked in the server settings, and how aggressive your compact folders settings is.

If not, then replacing your 5 profiles with one profile with 5 accounts would be the next thing to try since your problem seems to be email provider specific. I suggest you export the address books as .csv files beforehand so that you can import them in the new profile using tools -> import and then merge the address books contents as needed.
sshelton

Post by sshelton »

I am having this same problem in Thunderbird 91.3.2 (64-but) on Windows 10. On my Outlook and Gmail accounts, everything works fine. On other IMAP accounts, I can send email, but can not retrieve it. When I send email I get a warning that "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent) due to network or file access errors." When trying to retrieve messages, it gets as far as "Checking mail server capabilities...." and then hangs.

Whatever the problem is, it's local; these same accounts send and receive email just fine with Thunderbird on my other computers. (Unfortunately, this is my main work computer, so I *have* to have it able to do email properly.)

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot with no luck:
- Restarted with all add-ons disabled
- Deleted the certificates so that it would prompt me to refresh them
- Rebooted the computer
- Cleared the cache/history
- Disabled the antivirus and firewall

I'm at a bit of a dead end here. Any suggestions?