Enforce using BCC for BCC address lists

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
david835

Enforce using BCC for BCC address lists

Post by david835 »

It defeats the whole purpose of a BCC list in the address book when a message is accidentally sent using it in normal copy mode, since all the recipients can then obtain the email addresses of everyone on the list. #-o

While I realize that Thunderbird is not well supported because it depends on volunteers, and Thunderbird is not easy to work on, probably due to its complexity of building, I would like to propose the following solution.

Add an option to each address book mailing list that it be a BCC list. Then enforce this option by forcing the use of BCC when the user makes a mailing to the list. Since the use of normal Copy mode can be disastrous, this forcing should be absolute in nature while the BCC option is set. 8-)

I have the BCC extension installed, yet I was still able to forget to set a recent mailing to BCC when I used an address list I intended to be used as BCC only. ](*,)
DaveRo

Re: Enforce using BCC for BCC address lists

Post by DaveRo »

DanRaisch

Re: Enforce using BCC for BCC address lists

Post by DanRaisch »

It defeats the whole purpose of a BCC list in the address book
Actually, there is no such thing as a BCC list. A mailing list is a mailing list. Whether that is added to an outgoing message as an address entry in a To address or BCC address is determined during composition and not as part of the list definition.

If you have the Contacts Sidebar open in the composition window, you can search for and select the mailing list name and then click on the "Add to BCC" button at the bottom of that sidebar, which may serve as a reminder.