Trash (Number)? Solved

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
John Liebson

Trash (Number)? Solved

Post by John Liebson »

I don't recall seeing this; it started with (1) [with a downard arrow which opens the folder, changed to (2) sometime this morning. No files in the folder are in bold to indicate not read.

Search for an explanation, including the Tb help system has not turned up any information. Perhaps mozillaZine will reveal the meaning of this enigmatic thing.
Last edited by John Liebson on June 9th, 2021, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Trash (Number)?

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Right click on the name of the Trash folder and select "Properties" from the context menu, then click on the "Repair folder" button.
2. How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:1. Right click on the name of the Trash folder and select "Properties" from the context menu, then click on the "Repair folder" button.
2. How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
POP

Repair folder was tried before I started this thread, and had no effect.

Now, why does AccuWeather show at the top that today is 6/6/2021, but the list of forecasts show that tomorrow is 6/4/2021, and so on? I have enough trouble trying to remember what day it is, along with what month, what year, whatever.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What date does your system report, possibly in Windows the task bar?

Close Thunderbird. Navigate to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ), locate the Mail sub-directory for that account and then the sub-sub-directory for the specific account. Find the file Trash.msf and rename it to Trashmsf.old. Restart Thunderbird and see if things are resolved.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:What date does your system report, possibly in Windows the task bar?

Close Thunderbird. Navigate to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ), locate the Mail sub-directory for that account and then the sub-sub-directory for the specific account. Find the file Trash.msf and rename it to Trashmsf.old. Restart Thunderbird and see if things are resolved.
Date is Sun 6Jun2021. Accuweather fixed the problem sometime in the past few hours. One mystery solved.

Renamed .msf no change, other mystery continues.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, try this procedure. First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Sent folder to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Sent.msf and the file Sent with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and, the first time you send a message, there should be a new, empty Sent folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Sent folder from the sub-folder created above to the Sent folder. Compact the Sent folder after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

When I renamed trash.msf, I did not open trash.sbd, but I had been noticing that there is a trash folder below Inbox, and a second below Local folders; the first one does not have a. msf. That folder is very odd, containing only entries for my BAK(x) files, and indicating that many of them were modified today, even though they do not appear in the left-hand column. I opened the trash folder at the top, which is up to date.

I then opened the folder in Local Folders, which is the one with all of the BAK files, and nothing else, and when I did so, the mysterious umber after Trash went away-and then reappeared when I closed the folder.

I also have two Junk folders; the one at the top is empty, the one under Local Folders is up-to-date.

What should I do to clear up this mess, delete the empty junk folder and the trash folder with the BAK entries?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What should I do to clear up this mess, delete the empty junk folder and the trash folder with the BAK entries?
Don't delete the folders, just delete the messages inside those folders.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:
Don't delete the folders, just delete the messages inside those folders.

It is rather difficult to remove messages from an empty folder.

It turned out that the Number folder was even stranger than I had realized or seen: When I opened it a few minutes ago, in addition to all of the BAK entries, it now had many deletions of emails, but had stopped earlier than the other Trash file. In addition, the number had increased from 2 to 3.

Then, I noticed that all of the BAK entries were shown as folders, but there was nothing in them. I deleted all of the emails and all of the BAK folders, whereupon I saw that my Dell folder and its one subfolder were there. As the Dell entries were also where they belonged, I deleted them from the trash file, and the number disappeared. I have no idea how Dell got into the trash folder. I did figure out why so many BAK folders: I pasted them in the Local Folders area of the profile before restarting TB and moving the contents to their respective locations.

I am going to keep an eye on this trash folder, to see if there are now any new entries, and if so, shall ask you why that is, as I really only need one trash collection. Later: I deleted an old email from my personal folder, and that was placed in the Local Folders trash folder, as I suspected it would be
John Liebson

Re: Trash (Number)? Solved

Post by John Liebson »

Although it was not determined, and may not be determinable, what added the strange addition to the folder name, once I deleted the entire contents of the folder, the addition disappeared. Given that, I am marking this thread as solved.