[UPDATE] receiving spam emails with a 3 day delay

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
theyrelate

[UPDATE] receiving spam emails with a 3 day delay

Post by theyrelate »

Hi,

I'm receiving some of my spam emails with a 3 sometimes 4 days delay. Once they show up the date displayed is still the real date they should have arrived at.
As far as I am aware, it's only with spams, but thunderbird classifies most of my emails as spam even when the domain should be known (I would be interested in fixing that too btw)

Topics about similar problem say it's linked to POP3 but my email is already working with IMAP. I also checked that thunderbird knows the account's password and it does.

What can I do to receive my "spams" (which mostly anren't spams) on time?

Thanks

edit : it also seems that once i answer these late emails and move them to inbox, I appear to receive the next emails from the sender normally and on time (could be a coincidence though. I have tried recreating this problem by sending myself emails from another adress but even when the mails are classified as spam they appear to be received on time)
Last edited by theyrelate on June 27th, 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
theyrelate

Re: receiving spam emails with a 3 day delay

Post by theyrelate »

After some investigation I think the problem may actually come from my adress and not from thunderbird because i found the lost emails in my account's deleted folder.

So I have a new question (tell me if i should create a new topic) : can i make thunderbird receive what is being automaticaly moved to deleted by my microsoft adress and put it in a specific folder? What i mean is, i'd like that when an email is moved to "deleted" on my email, thunderbird receives it in the same way it receives inbox and junk mails.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is there a common element to those spam messages? Are they all from one or a small number of domains?
Is that account already set up in Thunderbird* to display the contents of the MS' server deleted folder?
If the answer to both questions is Yes, it would be possible to create a Message Filter ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29 ) to move the messages to a folder of your choosing.

* https://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/ ... tions.html
theyrelate

Post by theyrelate »

Hello, thank you for answering. I've had this problem with two unrelated domains so far. Thunderbird's and the ms server deleted folder do not appear to be synchronized, How can i fix that?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See the second link I posted above to update the subscription options for that Microsoft account.
theyrelate

Post by theyrelate »

Hi, Thanks for your answers

I'd like to bring up this thread again because I may have solved the issue with the outlook support, and it turns out thunderbird's spam filter may have caused it.

So, what happens is that outlook blocks emails marked as junk through a block list that users can't actually see. What I mean is, beside the blocklist that users can set up in their outlook settings by manually adding adresses, there is apparently another one that's automatic and there is no way to see what's in it (yes it's infuriating), and senders of emails marked as junk go in there. Emails from adresses belonging to this list get blocked right away, without even reaching the inbox or going in the spam folder first (said the support guy) so they won't appear

When I contacted the outlook support, they said the missing/delayed emails had been marked as junk "from a different device", but in my account's connexion history, only my computer and thunderbird IMAP thing were visible.

So my guess would be that thunderbird marked these emails as junk automatically, and that put them in the "invisible" microsoft blocklist

So I disabled thunderbird's spam filter and had the outlook "invisible" blocklist reset by the support.

I'll update if the issue happens again

But I wanted to add this in case someone with the same issue comes accross this topic.

EDIT : I also have a question about the "destination and retention" option in junkmail settings : I do not remember if it was ticked or not before i started trying to fix this issue. What happens if it is unticked, will junkmails simply remain in the main inbox?
And does unticking "enable adaptative junk mail control" remove ALL junk mail filters or is there something else I need to do in order for no emails to be marked as junk

thank you
DanRaisch

Re: [UPDATE] receiving spam emails with a 3 day delay

Post by DanRaisch »

So I disabled thunderbird's spam filter and had the outlook "invisible" blocklist reset by the support.
Thunderbird doesn't see any email until it has gone through Outlook's Inbox and filters. Nor does Thunderbird's determination of Junk/Not Junk have any impact on Outlook's determination of message status. Yes, Thunderbird's Junk Mail controls may move a message to the Junk folder but that is only after Outlook has processed the messages on its own servers. I would suggest that the resolution of your issue had more to do with resetting the blocklist on the Outlook server than anything to do with Thunderbird.
I also have a question about the "destination and retention" option in junkmail settings : I do not remember if it was ticked or not before i started trying to fix this issue. What happens if it is unticked, will junkmails simply remain in the main inbox?
That will depend on how the message was evaluated on the Outlook server. If Outlook identifies the messages as Junk, I would expect it to appear in the Junk folder in Thunderbird. If the option to "Move new junk messages to:" in unchecked in Thunderbird, TB will not move messages to the Junk folder.
And does unticking "enable adaptative junk mail control" remove ALL junk mail filters or is there something else I need to do in order for no emails to be marked as junk
That's all that would be necessary in Thunderbird, but keep in mind that anything Outlook identifies as Junk will likely be found in the Junk folder.