Trouble reinstalling existing profile.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TTCC5511

Trouble reinstalling existing profile.

Post by TTCC5511 »

I have just reinstalled system. I have a copy and backup archive of my Thunderbird profile (which, as most data, I never put on system drive anyway).

I'm looking to find back the way to re-use my existing profile... In my memory there was a place in Thunderbird where I could just change the profile path, but I don't find this anymore.
So I found back info about "Profile manager" (launched using Windows +R , then thunderbird -p ). This offers 3 options, Create/Rename/Delete profile. I don't think that any of these are what I want.
I actually find a lot of info about Profile Manager, but haven't found something that explains how to use an existing profile and that actually works right now...

So I deleted existing default profiles.
Created a new profile.
(Had to do some weird stuff so that it uses wanted path as sometimes it's including randomly generated code in path, sometimes not... but I'll skipp the details about this.)

Launched Thunderbird with this blank new profile simply using the path that I want to use for profile. Skipped everything, closed Thunderbird.
Copied all my actual profile files to wanted path.
Launch Thunderbird. There I expect that Thunderbird would appear my profile including all the mail accounts and mail and folderds etc. But ... not, it's still asking me to configure an e-mail account, no existing folders, no existing anything...

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I noticed that, thought I told in Profile Manager that I want to use my wanted profile, Thunderbird create all kin of files at the root of C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\* (which is not where I wanted to store profiles)
This makes me think that maybe it isn't using the folder I want, for some reason that I don't know.
TTCC5511

Re: Trouble reinstalling existing profile.

Post by TTCC5511 »

Ok, I have found the issue.

When I was selecting folder to use, I thought that I had to select folder one level above and than give a name to my profile.
Even more confusing was that if I tried to name my profile, manager was appending some a new random code base chosen name.

What I did to make it work was that I selected the actual folder of my profile, and when it suggest the name "Default User", I didn't touch anything. And Thunderbird is now using the right folder.
(Maybe Defaut User is the name of my profile, somewhere in its files, thought it's folder says otherwise ... to be honest I don't remember, I only worry about those things on when re-installing...)