Updating

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hawke1

Re: Updating

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Another minor irritation,

Everytime I open Thunderbird I am asked to enter a password for outlook.office365.com when the default is smtp-mail.outlook.com.

I can click on cancel and then carry on as usual, but why is it asking?

Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It stores separate passwords for POP/IMAP accounts and the SMTP server even though they're almost always identical. When prompted for the password there is a checkbox to have the password manager save the password you enter. Alternatively if you change the authentication from "normal password" to "OAuth2" (and fill in the information in the resulting popups) that automatically stores a token which it uses as if it was the password.

Or did I misunderstand the question?
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

It won't allow me to change to what you suggested.

options are:
No authentication
Normal password
Encrypted Password
Verberos/GSSAPl
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

According to https://support.getmailbird.com/hc/en-u ... on-support "OAuth 2.0 is supported for Microsoft 365 accounts, but NOT for personal Outlook accounts (e.g. @outlook.com or @hotmail.com accounts) "

I forgot about that. Sorry. OAuth2 is listed as a choice in my Outlook.com IMAP configuration using outlook.office365.com but when I try to use it I get a popup error message with "You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead"

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/297 ... ing-oauth2 has a comment "We don't support OAuth for IMAP access to Office 365 and we have no plans to do so as we recommend using our REST APIs to connect to Office 365 for your apps. OAuth is supported for Office 365 REST APIs for mail, calendar and contacts and our older SOAP APIs Exchange Web Services."
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Looking through account settings, the only place I can see outlook.office365.com mentioned is under:

Server Settings
Server Type: IMAP Mail Server
Server Name: outlook.office365.com Port: 933 Default: 993
User Name: my email address

The only other thing that stuck out was under Options - Passwords/Saved Passwords where there are 2 entries:

mailbox://pop-mail.outlook.com (mailbox://pop-mail.outlook.com)
smtp://smtp-mail.outlook.com (smtp://smtp-mail.outlook.com)

Do I need both?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

One is for your POP account, the other for your SMTP server. In general you need one password for your account and one password for your smtp server. The first problem is that you stored a password for a POP account, not a IMAP account, despite supposedly using a IMAP account. The second problem is your passwords are for outlook.com servers while you are using office365.com servers.

It should have looked like imap://outlook.office365.com (imap://outlook.office365.com) and smtp://smtp.office365.com (smtp://smtp.office365.com) because you're using outlook.office365.com as the mail server in your IMAP account.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

What can I do to change things?

e.g. Change the server settings?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

tools -> account settings -> outlook -> server settings if you're using Windows.

Be aware that if you change the mail server the local directory (where the account stores its files) will probably change to use a new directory named after the mail server. You can change it back to the old value using the Browse button at the bottom of the pane. If you are using a IMAP account and don't have any filters for that account I wouldn't bother. Its mainly an issue for POP accounts.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Ever since I started using Thunderbird my account was always pop3, so I added a new account (pop3).

When I first started Thunderbird after adding the account I was asked for passwords which I entered and saved and now the problem of being asked for passwords has gone away.

Is it OK to delete the imap account
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its safe to delete the IMAP account.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

I have deleted the IMAP account - all is well.

Can I get rid of the folder that is below my list of folders on the inbox page as follows:

myemailaddress@outlook.com (POP3)(No.of emails) - if expanded it shows Inbox (No. of emails)

The only problem that remains is the email to myself saga.
Hopefully that will resolve itself in good time.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You basically just need a inbox, drafts and sent folder. Any other folders in that POP account you can delete if you don't want them. If you have a problem deleting a folder check it isn't specified in the accounts "copies & folders" settings.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Not quite sure what you mean.

I don’t particularly want that folder showing - it has never been there in the past.

Would a screenshot be helpful? If so how do I do it?
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Found a solution to removing outlook.com pop3 account from folder pane:

Click on Tools/Account settings/Server settings then click on Advanced

Select box Inbox for different account
Select Global Inbox (Local folders) then OK.

Account is now not showing in folder pane.

Tanstaafl/DanRaisch - Sincere thanks to you and everyone else that responded - always a pleasure. :D :D
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Thought I would update you on the problem I was having back along with sending emails to myself.
Problem seems to have gone away (whatever the problem was??) - I can now send emails to myself.

Cheers