Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

Windows Own Security Microsoft Defender
Malwarebytes Free
Zemana Antimalware Free
DanRaisch

Re: Updating

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running Malwarebytes as a full time scanning utility or only as an on demand option?
I'm not familiar with Zemana Antimalware Free. Is that a full time scanning utility or on demand?
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

Both on demand.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, who is the email provider?
Then let's look at the SMTP server settings for that account. Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full email address or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

Info as requested.

email provider - Outlook.com(Microsoft)
Server name:smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port # :587
User name : Full email address
Authentication Method:Normal password
Connection Security:STARTTLS

for info - when I was using version 60.9.1, I was always able to email myself - since updating to latest version I can't.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try changing that SMTP server name to smtp.office365.com
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Danraisch,

Tried that - made no difference - so changed back again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What you don't know for sure is if the senders or the recipients SMTP server rejected the message. What domain did you send the message to?

Are you using a custom domain with your Office365 account or are you using the default domain?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... 1e1eddc24f talks about problems due to sending messages from a custom domain.

Try sending a plain text message with just the word Test to yourself. See if it has the same problem.

If you have another (non-Microsoft) account you could try using its SMTP server with your Office365 account. You might have issues regarding what sent folder it saves a copy of the sent message to, but if your problem was caused by the Office365 SMTP server that should workaround that bug. Its useful to have a free Gmail IMAP account that you use just for testing and workarounds.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Email provider is outlook.com.

Don’t understand about custom/default domains - can you please explain?

Already tried sending test message using plain text - same problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't post your full email address but what comes after the @ in your email address? That is the domain portion of the address.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

@outlook.com
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Don’t understand about custom/default domains - can you please explain?"

Many email providers allow you to use a email address that uses a domain that you own, though they charge you a fee for that feature. You could buy a domain from a domain registrar such namecheap.com for example. If you bought the domain xyzzy.com you could use hawke1@xyzzy.com rather than hawke1@outlook.com for example. You have to pay a annual fee to the domain registrar service to keep the domain. "outlook.com" would be the default domain if you have a free account.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch/Tanstaafl,

I am not paying for anything so obviously I am using the default domain i.e. outlook.com.

What I don't understand is that if I send a test message to myself using Thunderbird it then goes to my outlook.com inbox - I then click on get messages on Thunderbird and I get an
undeliverable message.i.e. Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.
If I then log in to my outlook.com account - inbox, I am able to resend the message from there and it is then delivered with no problems. All very confusing!!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. Webmail doesn't use the smtp server, it uses shared libraries instead, when it sends a message. So you can send a message using webmail when a bug might prevent you from sending it using the smtp server. They are two different code paths. It also gets more complicated if you consider using a Microsoft email client vs a third party email client like Thunderbird.

This means usually the best way to test if Thunderbird is at fault is to compare its results with another third party email client such as "em client", Mailbird or Mailspring.

2. I can now reproduce your problem (couldn't before). Using Thunderbird 78.12.0 I get the following when sending a simple text message from my outlook account to myself:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

XXXXXXX@outlook.com
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: DM6NAM10HT175.mail.protection.outlook.com

XXXXXXX@outlook.com
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS(4810)'

3. I did the same thing using em client version 8.2.1473 (04b618f) and got:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

XXXXXXX@outlook.com

Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: BN8NAM11HT142.mail.protection.outlook.com

XXXXXXX@outlook.com
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS(4810)'

4. I'd assume we're running into a temporary problem with the Microsoft smtp server.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

Tanstaafl,

Thanks for latest post.

Great to see it’s not just me.
Hopefully it will get sorted eventually!!