Updating

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hawke1

Updating

Post by hawke1 »

For some time now I have been happily using version 60.9.1 with check for updates turned off.

When I click on help/about Mozilla Thunderbird/Check for updates, I am given the option to update to 68.12.1.

Should I update, or is it perfectly OK to carry on using 60.9.1?
Secondly, would the highlighter addon work with 68.12.1.
Thirdly, should I have "Automatically install updates" enabled?
Fourthly, what is the latest version?
tanstaafl

Re: Updating

Post by tanstaafl »

The latest "released" version is currently 78.12.0.

I'm not aware of a highliter add-on on thunderbird.net. Perhaps its a legacy add-on that has been removed. I did find something similar called textmarker at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... extmarker/ that you might try if you upgrade to 78.12.0.

The party line is that you must always update to the latest version to get security patches. However, most of those security patches are for potential bugs that don't occur in Thunderbird due to javascript being disabled by default for mail accounts. While its a good idea not to fall too far behind (if only because it makes it harder to get support) usually most security related changes (that effect Thunderbird) are it getting stricter about disabling SSL/TLS support if a mail server doesn't obey what the RFC says its supposed to do.

If you upgrade to version 68 you will not be able to run many legacy addons anymore. Its still possible to run some, but it requires the authors to make some changes. I suggest you skip it as its neither fish nor fowl. By version 78 all support for legacy add-ons is gone. That transition occurred long enough ago that replacements for many popular add-ons are available but you may still find some of your favorite add-ons have no equivalent (with a different name) that you can use.

ImportExportTools has been replaced with ImportExportTools NG. CompactHeader has been replaced with Compact Headers. Many others are not so obvious.

If TextMarker seems to be a good alternative to Highliter I suggest you upgrade to 78.12.0. Otherwise I suggest you stay at 60.9.1 until both the next major version (90+) is released and a minor version update to it is released. Major versions always have bugs.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

tanstaafl,

Many thanks for response,

I think I'll probably stick with 60.9.1 for now, which seems to be fine.

Just out of interest - When I click on help/about Mozilla Thunderbird/Check for updates, it just says update to 68.12.1. - no mention of 78.12.0??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know why.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

tanstaafl wrote:I don't know why.
REF: Thunderbird 78.0 Release Notes
Thunderbird version 78.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions.
The first 78 version offered as an update was 78.2.2.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

hawke1 wrote:When I click on help/about Mozilla Thunderbird/Check for updates, it just says update to 68.12.1. - no mention of 78.12.0??
After you update to 68, it will then offer an update to 78 - assuming your OS version is supported.

The reason is there are "migration" processes that happen at certain watershed versions. Those watersheds are specified at the update servers.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

tanstaafl/WaltS48/wsmwk,

Thanks for responses.
Presumably if I update to 68.12.1 and then to 78.12.0, I don't need to be concerned about backing up profiles etc.?
Thunderbird will do everything that is needed?

I have ticked the box which says "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them".

Do I need the box which says "use a background service to install updates" to be ticked or not?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Presumably if I update to 68.12.1 and then to 78.12.0, I don't need to be concerned about backing up profiles etc.?
Thunderbird will do everything that is needed?
Wrong. One should ALWAYS backup the profile when upgrading by major versions, and from 68.x.x to 78.x.x is a major update.
Do I need the box which says "use a background service to install updates" to be ticked or not?
Not a significant issue if you are choosing the time to accept updates rather than allow automatic updating.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

I updated to 68.12.1 and then I was able to update to 78.12.0 and all is well.

DanRaisch - I did backup the profile prior to updating but found I didn't need it.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

I thought all was well, but I now find I cannot send emails.
Receiving emails seems to be ok.

When I send emails I see the following:

Failed due to unexpected error 80004005. No description is available.
The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again."

I shut down the PC and restarted and tried to send again - the message was sent but I the saw the following:

"Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it."

This is mostly emails I have tried to send to myself (just testing)
When I log in to my outlook.com account I am able to resend the message from there, and it is then delivered/received OK.

Hopefully you are able to assist?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

"Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it."
That indicates that the issue is not with Thunderbird but with the message itself. Does the message include a signature file or attachment?
Are you sending the message as plain text or in HTML format?
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,

No signature file or attachment.

In Tools/Account settings/Composition and Addressing - Compose message in HTML Format is ticked.

The problem seems to be only with emails I am sending to myself (just testing).
Should I be able to email myself?

I have emailed others this morning with the same just testing message, and they have been delivered.
I sent one to myself, it was sent, but not delivered, and I received the following again:

As I said previously, When I log in to my outlook.com account I am able to resend the message from there, and it is then delivered/received OK.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sending and or receiving messages via webmail does not use the same servers as are involved when using an email client such as Thunderbird so it's not really a valid diagnostic test.
Who is your email provider?
Not for long term bust as an experiment, under Tools/Account settings/Composition and Addressing, uncheck "Compose message in HTML Format" and see if the message is delivered.
hawke1

Post by hawke1 »

DanRaisch,
Outlook.com
Tried unchecking as you suggested - no difference - still undelivered.

As I scrolled further down the undeliverable message received I noticed the following:

"Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS(4810)"

Can't imagine what they mean?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software are you running on that system?