Deleted Mail Keeps Reappearing .. Wtf???

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zlaer

Deleted Mail Keeps Reappearing .. Wtf???

Post by zlaer »

Deleted mail from my inbox keeps reappearing back to the inbox after reopening TB. I've tried fidgeting with some of the settings but its still not fixed. Why is this happening and how do I finally fix this bs?
DanRaisch

Re: Deleted Mail Keeps Reappearing .. Wtf???

Post by DanRaisch »

POP or IMAP type accounts?
How many messages in the Inbox folder?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to the Thunderbird Support forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Resurrected mail in the inbox is a classic sign of a corrupted mail folder. If its a POP account move all of the messages to other folders/child folders and then use file -> compact folders.

The reason I said "all" is there is a risk when compacting a badly corrupted folder that it will physically remove messages it shouldn't because it has problems determining where messages end. If you don't want to do that then I strongly recommend you backup your profile before compacting the folders and at least try to get the number of messages in the inbox to less than a thousand.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If its a POP account move all of the messages to other folders/child folders
I would suggest that you COPY ALL messages rather than moving them. That minimizes the risk of data loss during this process.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:POP or IMAP type accounts?
How many messages in the Inbox folder?
Excuse the late reply. Its an IMAP.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

tanstaafl wrote:Resurrected mail in the inbox is a classic sign of a corrupted mail folder. .
So what do i do since this is an IMAP? I've tried compacting and obviously that didnt work.

After deleting 700 mails, I have 900 inbox mails + 900 sent mails in one mail account and 470 inbox mails + 10 sent mails in another account. But the issue persists.

You mentioned a possible corrupt folder. What do you suggest?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

bump
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can try closing Thunderbird, navigating to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ) and deleting the file inbox.msf. Note that this will cause the loss of certain elements that were added to messages like tags, stars and read status when Thunderbird is restarted. The latter can be changed by right clicking on the Inbox and selecting "Mark Folder Read".
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A cleaner equivalent is to right click on the inbox folder in the folder pane, select properties and then press the repair folder button. That rebuilds the folder listing too (inbox.msf) but it preserves the message attributes such as replied, forwarded, starred etc.

If repairing inbox.msf doesn't help, are you using multiple email clients with that email address? For example, a smartphone email app.

Do you share that account with somebody?

If you log into webmail using a browser do you see the same symptoms that you do in Thunderbird?