Bitdefender add-in

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jotiho

Bitdefender add-in

Post by jotiho »

After the Bitdefender spam detection add-in toolbar installed itself on my account (without any pre-warning), I found that all new emails appearing in the main window were being immediately flagged as Read. Disabling the add-in stopped this behaviour. It seems pretty clear that some action by the Bitdefender spam detection is being seen by TB as "reading" each email on download from the server. This is clearly inappropriate, since it effectively cancels any record of un-read message status.
Has anyone else hit this problem, and do they have a way of setting up the Bitdefender spam detection WITHOUT triggering this behaviour.
Thanks for any suggestions.
DanRaisch

Re: Bitdefender add-in

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no specific bug has yet been identified here.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/su ... wer/11527/ says the toolbar is compatible with Thunderbird 14 and higher. That's a bad sign as it implies they're using the legacy APIs rather than updating it to use the Webextension API. So I'm not surprised if it has bad side effects.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I have a similar problem. I cannot find any way to make the Bitdefender bar disappear from Thunderbird.

Guess I'll live with it until BD does something about it.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
jotiho

Post by jotiho »

Have you tried going into Add-ons and disabling the Bitdefender spam toolbar? That worked for me.
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I checked my extensions and plug-ins and I don't have anything for Bitdefender except Anti-tracker and Wallet, both of which I disabled a couple years ago.

I just opened Thunderbird and disabled the toolbar, but the BD toolbar still appears in Thunderbird.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4291
* Firefox 124; Thunderbird 115.8
jotiho

Post by jotiho »

Looks like I uninstalled rather than just disabling (there's now no mention of the BD toolbar among my add-ins).
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working

Try exiting Thunderbird and deleting the xulstore.json (stores the toolbar, window layout and size/position settings) and session.json (snapshot of the windows layout) files in your profile. It will create replacements with default values when you restart. You'll need to customize your windows layout/toolbars again.

If that doesn't help try uninstalling BitDefender and then re-installing it without any optional software.
aj2wilson

Post by aj2wilson »

THANK YOU!

This has been driving me nuts when it suddenly started happening about a month ago - the BitDefender extension installed itself without my asking so I have now removed it again.
Cork3

Post by Cork3 »

I was having the same problem and disabling Bitdefender Toolbar fixed it.
(It appears Bitdefender automatically installed it as part of a version upgrade.)
Thank you!