IMAP local directory format

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
spuri

IMAP local directory format

Post by spuri »

Hello

My imapmail folder is a mess. There are many similar folders. I tried to rename folders but it takes so long, I would like to avoid it for new accounts.
profile\ImapMail\imap.gmx-3.com
profile\ImapMail\imap.gmx-4.com
profile\ImapMail\imap.gmx-5.com

How could I configure local directory standard "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/[username_myemailhost.com] as default, instead of the current "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/[IMAP SERVER]" ?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: IMAP local directory format

Post by tanstaafl »

For a new account I'm not aware of a way in the Thunderbird user interface to do what you want. You coudl write a script to create a new account that also did that. See https://web.archive.org/web/20160527223 ... figuration

Why do you have so many accounts with the same email provider?
Why do you care what the local directory is called?

The reason I ask is perhaps we could come up with some other way to make things less of a mess.
spuri

Post by spuri »

I think it is normal usage
example_myname@outlook.com folder name: "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/outlook.office365"
example_mynickname@live.com folder name: "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/outlook.office365-1"
example_ourfamily@hotmail.com folder name: "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/outlook.office365-2"
I could rename these folder under account settings but this folder naming convention should be revised
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It is normal usage. I thought you knew that. Most people don't care what its called, don't have lots of accounts with the same email provider, and there is a way to change what directory is used.

If you want to lobby for something different I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home with the type set to "enhancement" . If you do that please post a link to the bug report. I had asked you why you cared and you never answered. Most people only care what the account is named in the folder pane, and that can be edited too.

If you file the bug report you need to explain in the bug report why you think the local directory naming convention causes problems for enough people that its worth modifying and also suggest a better naming convention. It sounds like you want to replace the mail server name with a username plus the email providers web site. That implies that they need to ask the user yet another question in the new account wizard since Thunderbird doesn't always know the email providers web site. That's a problem.

I think you need to think through more what you'd like them to do.
spuri

Post by spuri »

Why? It is difficult for me to understand the current format. Previously I deleted old accounts but kept their folders, now it is very complicated to find the one I am looking for.

You do not need to ask for new question:
example_ourfamily@hotmail.com current folder name: "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/outlook.office365-2" - recommended folder name "[PROFILE]/ImapMail/example_ourfamily_hotmail.com"