Extra inbox, drafts etc folders after switching to IMAP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dch53

Extra inbox, drafts etc folders after switching to IMAP

Post by dch53 »

Hi,

I've just switched my wife's mail from POP to IMAP. Under Local Folders I have duplicate Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Trash and Outbox folders under Local Folders. They're not exactly duplicate because they don't contain the same things.

Why is that? There doesn't appear to be an option to delete them. Could be confusing.

I switched my account over a couple of years ago. I have the duplicate folders as well but I've never worried about it. Also, under my account at the top there are duplicate Deleted Messages, Sent Messages and Spam folders. I've previously worked out that messages deleted or sent on my phone and iPad appear there.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Extra inbox, drafts etc folders after switching to IMAP

Post by DanRaisch »

Were you using a Global Inbox model with the POP account before the switch to IMAP? ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox ) I ask because every Thunderbird installation, regardless of which type of server (POP or IMAP) is being accessed has, by default, a Local Folders structure that includes Inbox, Drafts, Templates, Sent, Trash, Outbox. So what you are describing sound like a normal set up/installation.
tanstaafl

Re: Extra inbox, drafts etc folders after switching to IMAP

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders for why Local Folders exists. Is the IMAP account for Outlook.com or another Microsoft web site? I'm puzzled that you have a Outbox in the IMAP account. Typically that only exists in Local Folders, and is a renamed Unsent Messages folder.

In tools -> account settings please go to Local Folders and verify it says its a special account and just has a Junk Settings and Disk Space pane (unlike normal accounts which have panes for server settings, copies & folders, composition & addressing etc.). Why? Because there have been a few threads where somebody renamed a IMAP or POP account to Local Folders.