cannot send or receive emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

cannot send or receive emails

Post by sjw54 »

I have two email addresses that are through Verizon.aol. I am not able to send or receive emails. This started a few days ago. This problem does not affect my two gmail addresses. What can I do to fix this. It happened a couple of years ago and I cannot recall how we corrected the problem. Please make it simple. I am not computer savvy in any way. Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: cannot send or receive emails

Post by DanRaisch »

What is the full text of any error messages you are seeing?
What settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
What settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full email address or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I am now receiving emails on those addresses but now only one of them has a 'send' outgoing problem which started last week. When I try to send There is a popup box: password required for outgoing (SMTP) server smtp.verizon.net Enter your password for xxxxxxxxxx on smtp.verizon.net Then a little box to check: Use password manager to remember this password. I cannot remember where to find the password. I recall there is someplace that is stored so I can find it. Thank you Dan.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can find the old passwords. It is possible that that old password will not be accepted. If that is the case, delete that from the saved passwords and then close Thunderbird. Log into the Verizon account using a browser and change the password. The load Thunderbird and enter the new password when it is requested, clicking on the option to save it for automatic entry during future use.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Verizon accounts require app passwords, that are created on the AOL website. Remove the account passwords from Saved Passwords, restart TB, enter the app password when prompted.

https://help.aol.com/articles/Create-an ... p-password
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

sfhowes wrote:Verizon accounts require app passwords, that are created on the AOL website. Remove the account passwords from Saved Passwords, restart TB, enter the app password when prompted.

https://help.aol.com/articles/Create-an ... p-password
My Verizon IMAP account doesn't require an app password.

The incoming and outgoing servers use OAuth2.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

A Verizon IMAP account uses imap.aol.com, which can be authenticated with OAuth2, but as far as I know, pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net are not explicitly supported for OAuth2 in TB. But if pop.verizon.net is equivalent to pop.aol.com, and smtp.verizon.net to smtp.aol.com, then maybe OAuth2 works with the verizon.net servers anyway. That's what your experience seems to show.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan Raisch: I have an IT friend here and we are going by your instructions. When we click on Tools there is no Options in the drop down menu. Where to we go to complete the process of fixing my problem??? He is here now...I hope you are there. Your instructions from the other day:

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can find the old passwords. It is possible that that old password will not be accepted. If that is the case, delete that from the saved passwords and then close Thunderbird. Log into the Verizon account using a browser and change the password. The load Thunderbird and enter the new password when it is requested, clicking on the option to save it for automatic entry during future use.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan Raisch: My IT friend is still here...hoping to hear from you. We are now able to send from both Aol addresses, but not receive.
This was your first response to my question: What is the full text of any error messages you are seeing?
What settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:pop.verizon.net
Port # : 995
User name : just the name before the @ symbol.
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal Password
What settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name: smtp.verizon.net
Port # : 465
User name : full with the @
Authentication Method: Normal Pass
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Awaiting your reply....thank you......
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can find the old passwords.
There is an entry for "Options" and it's at the bottom of the menu list under Tools.

sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan....Options is NOT there.....I remember it used to be, but not anymore....it is gone. The drop down menu under TOOLS there is no OPTIONS. After Account Settings is Preferences. There is no OPTIONS anywhere that we could find. Is there another way to get to SECURITY?
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:Dan....Options is NOT there.....I remember it used to be, but not anymore....it is gone. The drop down menu under TOOLS there is no OPTIONS. After Account Settings is Preferences. There is no OPTIONS anywhere that we could find. Is there another way to get to SECURITY?
Preferences is a newer menu item that contains a lot of the stuff formerly accessed from options. Opening the preferences tab shows a menu item for "Privacy and Security" which contains the Passwords section.

There is no need TO SHOUT when you are making a post here. It is a volunteer operation where people offer their help out of a sense of duty to assist others. SHOUTING will only put people off helping you. It may also move things along if you tried a little self-help (such as clicking on the Preferences item to see what was there) as that is probably quicker than waiting for someone to answer your post.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I truly appreciate your reply and I apologize ...I did not mean to shout....you have no idea how much I appreciate your being there..and when I can I do donate to T-bird.
I am sorry......thank you so much.....for some reason I did click on preferences and did not see the security link. Really, I apologize. Without T-bird I don't know what I would do, and it seems the older I get the more freaked out I get with this stuff. Have a great Sunday.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

sjw54 wrote:I truly appreciate your reply and I apologize ...I did not mean to shout....you have no idea how much I appreciate your being there..and when I can I do donate to T-bird.
I am sorry......thank you so much.....for some reason I did click on preferences and did not see the security link. Really, I apologize. Without T-bird I don't know what I would do, and it seems the older I get the more freaked out I get with this stuff. Have a great Sunday.
Thank you for the gracious response. I hope you have managed to resolve your problem and hope you have a good day as well.

PS This site is not part of the official structure of Mozilla or Thunderbird (see the note in the right hand column of this page) although I am sure those parties gratefully accept any donations. Also I am not part of any organised help system. I chip in when I think I can offer something useful but from time to time my contributions turn out to be absolute rubbish. The people that do the hard work on this site are the moderators who give their time freely to try and help people so a big shout out to them (particularly @tanstaafl and @DanRaisch) who do so much to help people who find this site when needing assistance.