Keep old "Local Folders"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lynnehchapman

Keep old "Local Folders"

Post by lynnehchapman »

Hi everyone
I used Thunderbird on a machine (Medion) but then deleted it.
I currently use it on another machine (Sony).
I want to move the Sony Thunderbird set up back to my Medion PC but also add in the old "Local Folders" I had on there previously, which I think are still on my Medion hard drive.
Please can anyone advise how to do that (preferably in simple terms!!)
Thanks
Lynne
tanstaafl

Re: Keep old "Local Folders"

Post by tanstaafl »

Its not clear whether you are talking about folders in a POP account or the special case "Local Folders" account. However, you could import the mail folders into the "Local Folders" account on your Sony PC using the ImportExportTools NG add-on at https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ttools-ng/ .

It imports mbox files. Those are text files named after the mail folder, that contain all of the messages for that mail folder, and don't have any file extension. "inbox." is the mbox file for a inbox folder. It has the messages. "inbox.msf" is a index file for the inbox folder. You can ignore it, its basically just a cache of the folder listing. "inbox.sbd" is a renamed directory, used to help arrange the mbox files into a folder hierarchy.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0 is a cached copy of a KB article (the wiki seems unreachable today) about importing folders. It has a link to the previous version of the add-on, but the basics haven't changed.

Its also possible to just copy the mbox files into the "local directory" of "Local Folders". If you want to do that you might need to rename some of the mbox files you want to copy beforehand, to avoid name conflicts.
lynnehchapman

Post by lynnehchapman »

Many thanks, I'll try that.
Lynne
lynnehchapman

Post by lynnehchapman »

Sorry, I meant the special case "Local Folders", I had moved a whole load of emails in there previously and don't want to lose them.
Lynne