Moving folders from one computer to another

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
WW-

Moving folders from one computer to another

Post by WW- »

PROBLEM
I am trying to copy two Thunderbird mail folders from one computer to another computer.

BACKGROUND
On “computer A” I have a Thunderbird/POP account. On “computer B” I sent up a Thunderbird/IMAP account. Both have the same email address. (This may not matter but...) on “computer A” I only sent emails. I never download any email, the inbox is empty. On “Computer B” I have both sent and received emails.

I want to stop using “Computer A/POP” but I need to preserve/move two folders (Sent and Templates) to Computer B/IMAP. I tried copying the two folders from “computer A” (profiles/mail) to the same (profiles/mail) location on Computer B (using Windows Explorer). On the A computer I renamed Sent to Sent-A and Templates to Templates-A (so I would not overwrite the existing folders on B. Then I was just going to move/merge the contents into the existing folders once they were in place. It didn’t work. The two new folders appeared as Sent-A and Sent-B, but both folders were empty #-o when I tried to view them.

Looking at them in Windows Explorer they were not really empty, 2,270kb (templates) and 46,668kb (Sent). Is it possible to do what I want? What did I do wrong?
DanRaisch

Re: Moving folders from one computer to another

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't use hyphens in the file names. You should, with Thunderbird closed, copy those files (SentA and TemplatesA) to the Local Folders ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders ) structure of the Computer B profile. Then copy all the messages in the Local Folders sub-folder SentA to the IMAP folder Sent and the messages in the Local Folders sub-folder TremplatesA to the IMAP folder Templates.