Solution to Building inbox summary file and related problems

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
From Wisconsin also

Post by From Wisconsin also »

Sorry I posted as guest just now, that message was from me i.e. I have the same problems as the one on this thread but I don't know if I should just delete inbox.msf or if I should go through that long process. Also if I'm just deleting inbox.msf, do I need to move all Inbox contents & subfolder contents to a temporary folder or can I just delete the file? If I delete it will I lose all my mail?? Thanks
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

Sorry, I am not trying to be rude, but since that thread is so old, it is possible you don't have the same problem. That is why I suggest you are more likely to get help if you start your own thread and explain your problem in your own words.

Deeting a .msf file does not delete the actual email. It is only an index file.
Gord McFee
David_Bogota

Re: solved

Post by David_Bogota »

Daifne wrote:And to regularly compact your folders.

Many years after you wrote this advice, I had exactly the very same problem, and I did exactly what says above: I created a couple of "oldies" folder, and moved about 18.000 e-mails to those folders, and then compacted folders. Thunderbird runs like the wind, like it used to. I suspect it might have been also solved by a chkdsk, but it would have taken much more time to try out that way...

Many thanks.