Xpunge Add-on Doesn't Work on TB91

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Code Name

Xpunge Add-on Doesn't Work on TB91

Post by Code Name »

Xpunge Add-on doesn't work on TB91. ](*,) The Xpunge developer says it works with TB91, but it doesn't. :-k Also, the Xpunge icon for the toolbar is no longer available to customize the toolbar on TB91.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ge/?src=ss

Using Xpunge was sure easy to empty all the emails in the trash and to accomplish compacting folders.

How do you empty the emails in your trash folder? One email at a time? Or is there an easy way to empty all emails in the trash that I'm missing? [-o<

I feel that as TB comes out with newer versions it oftentimes drops popular add-ons and features that are important to many uses and actually makes things worse. But the TB team doesn't seem to care much about that... :roll:
Last edited by Code Name on October 10th, 2021, 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
LIMPET235

Re: Xpunge Doesn't Work on TB91

Post by LIMPET235 »

This from the D/L page...
Xpunge 3.0.0 makes it compatible with Thunderbird 91.

Please note that in this version, the options (preferences) page of Xpunge is available through the wrench icon in the Extensions tab of the Add-ons Manager (accessible through the "Add-ons and Themes" menu entry).

ATTENTION: Some users have reported an issue in Thunderbird 91, where they install Xpunge 3.0.0 but MultiXpunge still does not work, with an error about "fixIterator" appearing in the Error Console. This seems to be an issue with Thunderbird 91 caching and using Xpunge 2.1.1, even though 3.0.0 is installed. Disabling and enabling Xpunge 3.0.0 again, seems to solve the issue.
There's a tad more under...
"About this Add-on..."

Why not just contact the author?
He has a support link on site.

(ps. Your REVIEW comment is noted. )

Moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

@Code Name

In answer to your direct question, for UK English, right click on the Junk folder and select the Empty Junk option. Hopefully US English will have the same functionality for Trash. Alternatively navigate to the Trash folder, click on any message, press Ctrl -A to select all and either press the delete button on your key pad or right click and select delete.

However, there is something adrift somewhere. I have been using Xpunge quite happily on beta builds, updating to 3.0.0 when v91 beta came out. This has worked as expected through to v93 beta complete with toolbar icon. The add-on functionality remains in v94 beta but the toolbar icon has lost its graphics and only shows as a background colour square. I reported it to the developer using the route LIMPET235 has suggested to you and he has sent me a beta version of Xpunge to test which restores the icon graphics and the add-on is fully functional again.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Gone Postal wrote:@Code Name

right click on the Trash folder and select the Empty Trash option.
Thanks!

Yes, for Junk or Trash the right click option does have the same functionality. However, emptying trash that way takes an extra step compared to what Xpunge did with a single click of its button, which compacted also...

The TB team rates high if their goal is to frustrate Tb users...and a regular donator. #-o
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Code Name wrote:The TB team rates high if their goal is to frustrate Tb users...and a regular donator. #-o
If it is a TB problem, how did it work quite happily on my system on beta versions 91 to 93?
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Gone Postal wrote:
Code Name wrote:The TB team rates high if their goal is to frustrate Tb users...and a regular donator. #-o
If it is a TB problem, how did it work quite happily on my system on beta versions 91 to 93?
I have no clue why Xpunge worked on your system on beta versions 91 to 93. Maybe the beta version of 91differs in some way that allows Xpunge to work whereas the public Tb 91 release version does not. Something is odd about that! :-k I guess an interim/beta version doesn't necessarily always have the full elements (good or bad) of the final release version.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Code Name wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:
I have no clue why Xpunge worked on your system on beta versions 91 to 93. Maybe the beta version of 91differs in some way that allows Xpunge to work whereas the public Tb 91 release version does not. Something is odd about that! :-k I guess an interim/beta version doesn't necessarily always have the full elements (good or bad) of the final release version.
As I understand it the final beta version becomes the release candidate and is then issued so there is nothing added or omitted from the last beta version of each issue that I have tested as compared with the publicly released versions. In those cases, Xpunge has still worked correctly. So similarly to your response I have no idea why Xpunge is not working on your system on public version TB91.

Do you think others might have complained similarly if it was a generic problem rather than a problem affecting only your own set-up? A quick search for "Thunderbird 91 Xpunge" only throws up this thread in terms of the add-on failing to work. You are also the only person to report the same in the add-on home page so you may be in a minority of one.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Gone Postal wrote:

Well, guess what? My MultiXpunge is working on Tb91.2.0, emptying the trash and compacting just like it did on Tb78. (Maybe the last update today (10/11/2021) fixed the missing icon.) I'm happy to report that Xpunge is back working again to empty the trash folder and compact the folders as the developer intended it to be used by single clicking on the Xpunge toolbar icon!

With my other computer the Xpunge icon on the toolbar suddenly went missing as soon at it auto-updated to Tb91 an it is still missing as of today. Xpunge is in the Add-ons but no Xpunge icon for the toolbar...and of course it doesn't work as intended without being able to click on the toolbar icon.

I can't explain it...
Last edited by Code Name on October 14th, 2021, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Code Name wrote:With my other computer the Xpunge icon on the toolbar suddenly went missing as soon at it auto-updated to Tb91. Xpunge is in the Add-ons but no Xpunge icon for the toolbar...and of course it doesn't work without being able to click on the toolbar icon.
Not true. Under the Tools menu there is an Xpunge item and the add-on can be run from there. Not as easy as a single click on a toolbar icon but Xpunge will work even if there is no toolbar icon.
Code Name

Post by Code Name »

Gone Postal wrote:
Code Name wrote:With my other computer the Xpunge icon on the toolbar suddenly went missing as soon at it auto-updated to Tb91. Xpunge is in the Add-ons but no Xpunge icon for the toolbar...and of course it doesn't work without being able to click on the toolbar icon.
Not true. Under the Tools menu there is an Xpunge item and the add-on can be run from there. Not as easy as a single click on a toolbar icon but Xpunge will work even if there is no toolbar icon.
Geez! Okay, if you want to get really detailed about it, what I should have said (to appease you, but then you wouldn't have anything to complain about or refute) was:

With my other computer the Xpunge icon on the toolbar suddenly went missing as soon at it auto-updated to Tb91. The icon is still missing. The Xpunge add-on is in the Add-ons but there is no Xpunge icon for the toolbar...therefore you cannot use Xpunge the way it was intended by the developer to be used. It was clearly intended to be used by single clicking on the Xpunge icon on toolbar icon - not by running it from the Tools menu. The Xpunge add-on does not work as it did on Tb78 and does not work as the developer designed and intended for it to be used. There!

I do not want to run it from the Tools menu...
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Code Name wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:
Geez! Okay, if you want to get really detailed about it, what I should have said (to appease you, but then you wouldn't have anything to complain about or refute) was:

With my other computer the Xpunge icon on the toolbar suddenly went missing as soon at it auto-updated to Tb91. The icon is still missing. The Xpunge add-on is in the Add-ons but there is no Xpunge icon for the toolbar...therefore you cannot use Xpunge the way it was intended by the developer to be used. It was clearly intended to be used by single clicking on the Xpunge icon on toolbar icon - not by running it from the Tools menu. The Xpunge add-on does not work as it did on Tb78 and does not work as the developer designed and intended for it to be used. There!

I do not want to run it from the Tools menu...
Perhaps you should calm down a little before ranting on the key-board. You made an incorrect statement. I pointed out it was incorrect. You then have an attack of outraged innocence. It would all be solved if you could restrain yourself from posting patently false statements in the first place - although posting and believing patently false statements on the internet appears to be the way that lots of people now seem to behave.
DanRaisch

Re: Xpunge Add-on Doesn't Work on TB91

Post by DanRaisch »

Different folks can choose to operate software in different ways. There is no right or wrong about those choices and there has been no statement from extension developers who provide both toolbar buttons AND menu options that one or the other of those choices is the INTENDED mode of operation.

Let's lower the temperature of some of the rhetoric in this topic and keep things civil, before it gets out of hand and has to be locked.
Code Name

Re: Xpunge Add-on Doesn't Work on TB91

Post by Code Name »

Update on the Xpunge add-on:

After TB auto-updated to v91 the Xpunge add-on icon on the toolbar was gone. Disabling or removing the Xpunge add-on, and then adding the Xpunge add-on back to TB did not [originally] provide the icon to select and add it to the toolbar. However, after restarting Tb91 multiple times the Xpunge icon mysteriously appeared back on the toolbar but relocated to the far right-hand position on the toolbar. (Maybe the last update on 10/11/2021 fixed the missing icon.) I'm happy to report that Xpunge is back working again to empty the trash folder and compact the folders as the developer intended it to be used by single clicking on the Xpunge toolbar icon!

[I have edited my comments on the Xpunge add-on page to reflect this update and gave it 5 Stars...]