Quick Filter - Clear search "X" missing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lordgaz

Quick Filter - Clear search "X" missing

Post by lordgaz »

Hi All

I use quick filter a lot to search for emails for different orders I am handling. I am pretty sure there used to be an "X" to clear the search bar, but now I notice it is gone (Using 78.14.0 on Windows 10) - This is a pain as I have to manually select the previous search text and delete it to get back to my inbox - whereas before, a click of the X did it for me.
Is this a bug, or has the clear box X been removed on purpose? Can I get it back?

Many thanks
G
tanstaafl

Re: Quick Filter - Clear search "X" missing

Post by tanstaafl »

version 60.* displays a 'x' at the far end of the quick filter search field after I type some text. It doesn't occur with 91.2.0. Version 60.* also had a clear background while 91.2.0 has a black background in the search field once you start typing.

I couldn't find a bug report about it. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/qu ... er-toolbar still shows it having a 'x'.

I installed the beta (94.0b2) and it has a clear background in the quick filter search field and shows a better looking 'x' widget (looks like a real button rather than just a 'x' character) that also has a "clear" tooltip. So I'd assume its a bug in 91.*.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I have the 'x' at the far right of the Quick Filter search bar in 91.2.0 when I start typing, but it isn't there when the search bar is empty.

Sorry, no longer have a 78.14.0 to check.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
lordgaz

Post by lordgaz »

Thank you very much for your replies! Ok, I rebooted the computer, and lo and behold it has returned! Sorry for taking your time!
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The bug first appeared in 93b1, but wasn't in 91 and earlier versions. Now fixed in 94b. Most annoyingly, it's present in Firefox 93 in the Bookmarks or History search box.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1730540
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

Also works to hit Esc, which I just learned recently.