Help! Unable to send and address book gone after update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RayKremer

Help! Unable to send and address book gone after update

Post by RayKremer »

So, this isn't me, but my father, who lives in another state so I'm trying to help him over the phone. On two separate computers, his Thunderbird updated to version 91 and all of a sudden the "Send" button is non-functional. Checked SMTP settings, tried the mode with add-ons disabled, made sure it's not in "offline" mode, made sure a valid e-mail address was in the "to" line, all the usual stuff.

I managed to find two examples of the same thing happening to other people (albeit on other operating systems, Dad in on Windows 10). The first is this: https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fe ... 09032.html
First, annoying. Starting a new message, the Send button is grayed out *IF* there is anything in the Bcc field. As I normally Bcc myself on all messages, this hits every time. Clearing the field, re-enables the Send button. Refilling the Bcc field does NOT cause the Send button to go gray.

Second, more annoying, when trying to reply to a message, the Send box is grayed out and cannot be restored, even by clearing the Bcc box. I have not found any way to actually send a reply (other than to go to my mobile phone and do it there).

Third, less annoying, access to my local on-disk mailspool (referred to in Thunderbird as "movemail") has disappeared. Not a big deal, as I can review local logfiles with a command-line mailtool like good ole 'mailx.'

Fourth, and a major problem, my Address Book has disappeared. The data appears to still be there, as I can start typing an address and have it auto-completed, but the address book itself appears empty, and can't be opened for browsing.
I'm not sure what the mailspool/movemail thing is, but the rest of this accurately describe my father's problem, including having it set to BCC himself on all messages. This guy in the end downgraded to the previous version to "fix" the problem.

The second is https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2461206 from April, so not even related to version 91 specifically. He actually got farther with the problem:
Opened Thunderbird for the first time and all my accounts and existing emails (POP) were there. I can download new emails for all accounts, no errors.

However, My address book had disappeared - nothing in it even though the abook.mab was copied across.

I can also not send emails from any account. It gives no error, just does nothing when I click the Send button.

When I type in a valid email address in the To field and press enter - nothing happens. Doesn't recognise it (obviously no lookup to an address book) but just stays red and have to manually click in the next field - won't tab away from the To field.

Weird and frustrating.

I have just copied the .thunderbird folder to a USB again, deleted the old folder. Using Synaptic Package Manager I completely removed Thunderbird, then reinstalled. Again did CHOWN on my home folder. Still no address book in Thunderbird and cannot send emails.

Also tried replying to a received email. The address is something like First Last <firstlast@gmail.com> This appears in red and the Send button is greyed out. I have to remove everything but the contents between < and > to get the Send button to be enabled - but then nothing happens when I press it.

As I say receiving mail is no problem. I have checked the SMTP server settings and all seems fine - same settings as on my phone which works no problem.
Same sort of problem. Not seeing the same thing with the "to" e-mail address showing in red, but clearly the same issue otherwise. He continues:
It appears that the lost address book and the inability to send mail is linked.

I gather that Thunderbird no longer uses the .mab files for the address book - rather it now uses .sqlite files (abook.slite, history.sqlite). The presence of the .mab files is a hangover from upgrades of TB not tidying up after itself.

I closed TB, created a SAVED folder in .thunderbird and moved all .mab and equivalent .sqlite files there. Reopened TB and it had created new .sqlite file - but no .mab files. I can now send mail again, and the empty address book is getting populated from the mail I just sent.

So, at the moment I have lost my address book. I tried moving the new .sqlite files and replacing with the old .slite files but again no address book so reverted to the option of being able to send mail again.
I had Dad try this out, moving the abook.* and history.* files to a "backup" folder. The outcome of that is that half-typed familiar e-mail addressed no longer autocomplete (expected that to be the case) but unlike with this other guy, it didn't fix his inability to send. (The other guy eventually recovered his address book too, but I'll worry about that once sending is functional again.)

Any clues on this? As an absolute last resort I can have Dad set up a new profile from scratch and copy all the mail files over to it, but I'm hoping for an easier fix than that. It does seem like something in the address book or otherwise got corrupted during the version update and broke stuff. (I said this happened on two computers, but I'm sure I set Thunderbird up on his laptop by copying the profile from the desktop computer. At least that means it's some consistent problem caused by the profile itself and not some weird glitch that strikes randomly.)
tanstaafl

Re: Help! Unable to send and address book gone after update

Post by tanstaafl »

Version 91 dropped support for Movemail accounts. Movemail is a program that moves mail from a user's Unix mailspool to another file. Think of a Movemail account as obsolete type of a POP account where rather than directly fetching mail from the POP mail server it got it from a mailspool file that another process downloaded the mail to.

If your father used something like procmail to filter/sort the mail for the mailspool file he'll need to think about using the message filters in Thunderbird instead if he wants to use a POP account. If he switches to a IMAP account he could do the same thing or use something like "Sieve" scripts on the mail server to file mail into the desired folder before the email client sees it.

I suggest he create either a POP or IMAP account for the same email address, move the downloaded mail from the Movemail account there and after checking that he successfully moved all of the mail delete the Movemail account. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1625741

Version 78 replaced *.mab address files with a sqlite based address book. It created backups of the *.mab files beforehand with slightly different filenames. You can export the address books in the old profile as .csv or .ldif files if you want to import them into the new profile using tools -> import.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3078322 for a related thread about the can't send problem. It is typically caused either by a bug in a add-on that doesn't fully support version 91, or using multiple locales/dictionaries with version 91. It sounds like you might have worked around the problem by creating a new profile with no add-ons. If not, see if the problem still occurs after using help -> troubleshooting mode.
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

tanstaafl wrote:Version 91 dropped support for Movemail accounts.
Ok, I only mentioned movemail because the Tim Evans fellow noticed it was gone and I can neither confirm nor deny that to also be the case with my father because we have never used it and don't know what it is. So all of that is not relevant.
Version 78 replaced *.mab address files with a sqlite based address book. It created backups of the *.mab files beforehand with slightly different filenames. You can export the address books in the old profile as .csv or .ldif files if you want to import them into the new profile using tools -> import.
I got from arst06d's posts that this had happened sometime in the past. The particular relevance here seems to be the address book files being corrupted during the update to 91 (or the update to 78 in arst06d's case, apparently). As I said, arst06d managed to recover his address book by exporting the data from the old files and importing it back into Thunderbird, but that's a huge moot point if the ability to send is not fixed first.
It is typically caused either by a bug in a add-on that doesn't fully support version 91,
Thanks, I did mention we already tried running in safe/troubleshooting mode that disables add-ons.
or using multiple locales/dictionaries with version 91.
I did see a post somewhere that said sending would be disabled if there was no dictionary installed, and I checked for that, but I didn't check if there are multiple dictionaries. It's doubtful, but I will check this.
It sounds like you might have worked around the problem by creating a new profile with no add-ons.
No, I said I would do that as a last resort.
If not, see if the problem still occurs after using help -> troubleshooting mode.
Thank you, but I already said we tried that.
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

Ok, here's some stuff some the error console. I removed duplicate lines. Some of the remaining ones are still very similar to each other. The main thrust of it seems to be corruption in the address book, which matches previous theories. I just don't know at the moment what other files need to be gotten rid of to clear the corruption.

SQLiteDirectory.jsm? AddrBookDirectory.jsm? AbAutoCompleteSearch.jsm? pab.na2 sounds vaguely familiar.

Code: Select all

NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase] SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43
NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase] 2 SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\nhasMailListWithName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:420:17\nmailListNameExists@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:511:15\nupdateSendLock@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5023:25\nupdateSendCommands@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2040:3\nonRecipientsChanged@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5745:21\nCompFields2Recipients@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:226:24\nComposeFieldsReady@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2766:24\nNotifyComposeFieldsReady@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:471:5\nInitEditor@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:9289:15\nobserve@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:3832:9\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\nhasMailListWithName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:420:17\nmailListNameExists@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:511:15\nupdateSendLock@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5023:25\nupdateSendCommands@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2040:3\nonRecipientsChanged@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5745:21\naddressInputOnInput@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:907:3\nconnectedCallback/<@chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.js:2367:30\n_setValueInternal@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:627:15\nset textValue@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:253:12\nsetTextValueWithReason@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:356:7\ngetInterfaceProxy/get/<@chrome://global/content/customElements.js:696:35\nstartSearch@resource:///modules/AbAutoCompleteSearch.jsm:534:17\nstartSearch@resource:///modules/AbLDAPAutoCompleteSearch.jsm:222:17\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\nhasMailListWithName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:420:17\nmailListNameExists@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:511:15\nupdateSendLock@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5023:25\nupdateSendCommands@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2040:3\nonRecipientsChanged@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5745:21\naddressInputOnInput@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:907:3\nconnectedCallback/<@chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.js:2367:30\n_setValueInternal@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:627:15\nset textValue@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:253:12\nsetTextValueWithReason@chrome://global/content/elements/autocomplete-input.js:356:7\ngetInterfaceProxy/get/<@chrome://global/content/customElements.js:696:35\nstartSearch@resource:///modules/AbAutoCompleteSearch.jsm:534:17\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\nhasMailListWithName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:420:17\nmailListNameExists@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:511:15\nupdateSendLock@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5023:25\nupdateSendCommands@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2040:3\nonRecipientsChanged@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:5745:21\naddressInputOnInput@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:907:3\nconnectedCallback/<@chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.js:2367:30\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\nhasMailListWithName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:420:17\nmailListNameExists@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:511:15\naddressInputOnBlur@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:1042:21\nonblur@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/messengercompose.xhtml:1:19\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

Uncaught (in promise) Exception { name: "NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED", message: "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]", result: 2152857611, filename: "resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm", lineNumber: 43, columnNumber: 0, data: null, stack: "openConnectionTo@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43:35\nget _dbConnection@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:190:38\nget lists@resource:///modules/SQLiteDirectory.jsm:208:27\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookDirectory.jsm:375:22\ngetMailListFromName@resource:///modules/AddrBookManager.jsm:279:21\nupdatePillStatus@chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.js:2248:40\ncreateRecipientPill@chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.js:2827:12\nrecipientAddPills@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:940:19\nCompFields2Recipients@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/addressingWidgetOverlay.js:185:26\nComposeFieldsReady@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:2766:24\nNotifyComposeFieldsReady@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:471:5\nInitEditor@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:9289:15\nobserve@chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/MsgComposeCommands.js:3832:9\n", location: XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper } SQLiteDirectory.jsm:43

[Exception... "Exception thrown by jsaddrbook://pab.na2: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]"  nsresult: "0x8052000b (NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED)"  location: "JS frame :: resource:///modules/AbAutoCompleteSearch.jsm :: startSearch :: line 495"  data: no] AbAutoCompleteSearch.jsm:495:13
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

So, just to update anybody that may come across this post later on, I got ahold of his laptop, and the problem turned out to be the pab.na2 file in the profile folder. It was very old, and I thought na2 was an address book file format that Thunderbird doesn't use anymore, but when I removed it from the folder and started Thunderbird, pab.na2 was recreated and sending e-mail worked fine again. I'm not even sure if the actual current address book was affected, as it's still full of data. Maybe some names were lost, but I have no way to confirm or deny that.

(I actually first pulled all the things that I know are current address book files, but when that didn't work I yanked the two .na2 files. Sending worked again at that point, so I started putting things back, until I narrowed it to pab.na2 as the issue.)

I would like to think this is some kind of bug, given that this problem occurred both times this profile (because if you recall, the profile on the laptop was originally copied to there from the desktop PC) updated to TB 72. It's got to be some sort of bug that whatever pab.na2 is or does can stop the send button from working. But I wouldn't know how to reproduce it on any other profile, or a newly created profile. Perhaps it's only something that happens if your TB profile, and hence the pab.na2 file, is very very old.

Anyway, crisis averted. Though I wouldn't have known where to start without the prior experience of arst06d in the thread I linked to earlier. Hopefully this helps others with this problem in the future.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Just checked all my profiles and don't see a pab.na2 file.

Perhaps you are using an extension that I don't use, which may be creating it.

Happy you resolved the issue.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

Yeah, checked all my profiles too and pab.na2 isn't there either. I don't think he's using any extensions really, and we did try the safe/troubleshooting mode before. I do have a dim memory of that being the main address book file years and years ago, but if it's been depreciated then it's super odd that Dad's profile was paying attention to it at all, much less recreating it after I removed it from the folder. (A bunch of other address book files recreated themselves after I removed them too, but those were the current sqlite file format.) Really does seem to be one of those bugs based around a string of unlikely circumstances.
mrmikk3

Post by mrmikk3 »

RayKremer wrote:So, just to update anybody that may come across this post later on, I got ahold of his laptop, and the problem turned out to be the pab.na2 file in the profile folder. It was very old, and I thought na2 was an address book file format that Thunderbird doesn't use anymore, but when I removed it from the folder and started Thunderbird, pab.na2 was recreated and sending e-mail worked fine again. I'm not even sure if the actual current address book was affected, as it's still full of data. Maybe some names were lost, but I have no way to confirm or deny that.

(I actually first pulled all the things that I know are current address book files, but when that didn't work I yanked the two .na2 files. Sending worked again at that point, so I started putting things back, until I narrowed it to pab.na2 as the issue.)

I would like to think this is some kind of bug, given that this problem occurred both times this profile (because if you recall, the profile on the laptop was originally copied to there from the desktop PC) updated to TB 72. It's got to be some sort of bug that whatever pab.na2 is or does can stop the send button from working. But I wouldn't know how to reproduce it on any other profile, or a newly created profile. Perhaps it's only something that happens if your TB profile, and hence the pab.na2 file, is very very old.

Anyway, crisis averted. Though I wouldn't have known where to start without the prior experience of arst06d in the thread I linked to earlier. Hopefully this helps others with this problem in the future.
Thank you so much! It solved my problem too. Same file, same issue (date: 2004). Thank you again!
RayKremer

Post by RayKremer »

mrmikk3 wrote:Thank you so much! It solved my problem too. Same file, same issue (date: 2004). Thank you again!
Ha! Excellent! That didn't take long.

I seem to recall the date on Dad's pab.na2 being 2002. I thought my Thunderbird profile on my PC at home was at least that old, but it didn't have one. So maybe it was supposed to have been removed during some version update, but occasionally it isn't for some reason, and then eventually develops into a problem.

And now looking back at my previous replies, I called out this file based on the error console alone.
StephenLane

Post by StephenLane »

Thanks So much for this article after searching the official TB help to almost no avail the while suspecting the na2 file, what to do with it until reading this was illusive - so to add to the info the original file was dated 2003 so after cutting it out of the profile & restarting TB sending was restored the interesting thing was it asked for was the email server send password. In addition it recreated the missing na2 file with all the addresses in it, that was a hidden bonus as the retrieving all the old addresses was not on the top of my "looking forward to do list" :)
Regards
utrenkner

Post by utrenkner »

Many, many thanks, @RayKremer ! I was in exactly the same situation as you: My dad (80+ years old) called yesterday, because sending e-mails did not work anymore. I tried a lot until I found your solution. I deleted the pab.na2 file and now everything works like a charme!

You made my day!
PHLE

Post by PHLE »

Thanks a lot. I had the same situation since a few weeks. Now I tried various things, that I read in other articles, but nothing helped. Now with removing of the file pab.na2 it is working again. :-)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

pab.na2 was the personal address book used in Netscape Communicator 4.x . They used .na2 files, not .mab files. Early versions
of SeaMonkey did too. Sounds like a Netscape profile was imported into Thunderbird long ago, and the file was ignored for many
years as a obsolete surplus file until some sort of regression bug occurred.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35509#c24
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=410836
https://fileinfo.com/extension/na2