Saving email files - stop unwanted information in file name

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JamieKer

Saving email files - stop unwanted information in file name

Post by JamieKer »

All of a sudden, when saving Thunderbird email files into a folder, my name, email address and date is automatically added to the email file name.

I didn't ask for this; it just started to happen.

Probably another example of someone feeling it might be useful for users when in fact its very frustrating and not requested. I have to remove this information every time I save an email file.

How do I stop this from being added automatically to the file description when saving email files??

Jamie
DanRaisch

Re: Saving email files - stop unwanted information in file n

Post by DanRaisch »

What version of Thunderbird?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

JamieKer wrote:All of a sudden, when saving Thunderbird email files into a folder, my name, email address and date is automatically added to the email file name.

I didn't ask for this; it just started to happen.

Probably another example of someone feeling it might be useful for users when in fact its very frustrating and not requested. I have to remove this information every time I save an email file.

How do I stop this from being added automatically to the file description when saving email files??

Jamie
A user did ask for the change in a bug report, which was implemented in version 91.2.0 when released.
Because that is the way saving multiple messages works, and the user wanted it for single messages.

Which now has a bug report filed by another user complaining about the change, which I would resolve as invalid, but will defer to a developer.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The harder you strive to please everybody, the more somebody will complain about it.
JamieKer

Post by JamieKer »

Hi All,

Thanks for the information.

I'm Mr Average. I can assure you that most people will not be happy that developers have made this change.

Why would you implement this change because one person has asked for it?

This is typical of developers tinkering around with things that aren't broken and providing a function that the vast majority doesn't want.

I save emails individually in different folders. I now have to manually delete a large part of the file name that I don't want.

Files with long file names often can't be saved into folders, if the folders are a few levels down (with MS OS).

Please can Mozilla change this back again to how it was. Keep it simple.

Thanks

Jamie