Problem with deleting emails from same acct on two PCs?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Problem with deleting emails from same acct on two PCs?

Post by Flycaster »

I have the latest Thunderbird on two Windows 10 PCs. Both PCs have the same TB setup, each with the same two accts and same PWs. And, both are imap. Problem is when I send an email from one PC to trash, that same email on the other PC also goes to trash. I'd like to be able to delete an email from one PC, but not have it deleted as the same time from the other PC. How, if possible? Thanks.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Problem with deleting emails from same acct on two PCs?

Post by DanRaisch »

both are imap. Problem is when I send an email from one PC to trash, that same email on the other PC also goes to trash.
Since you are dealing with the accounts as IMAP, you are viewing and interacting with the messages as they actually exist on the same server(s). When you delete a message on either computer, it is being deleted on the server of that account and the second computer is reflecting that change in the status of the message as it exists on the server.

You would have to change your usage to achieve what you are describing. One way to do that would be to set up the accounts in Thunderbird on one computer as POP rather than IMAP. That would disconnect the messages from actions take on the server due to deletion on the other computer. That might make things more complicated than you want.

Another option would be to create sub-folders under Local Folders on just one of the computers and move messages from the IMAP folders to those new sub-folders. That would also separate those moved messages from any actions taken on the server side. You would have to remember to delete those moved messages as a separate step when you were ready to see them removed.
Flycaster

SOLVED: Problem with deleting emails from same acct on two P

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:
both are imap. Problem is when I send an email from one PC to trash, that same email on the other PC also goes to trash.
Since you are dealing with the accounts as IMAP, you are viewing and interacting with the messages as they actually exist on the same server(s). When you delete a message on either computer, it is being deleted on the server of that account and the second computer is reflecting that change in the status of the message as it exists on the server.

You would have to change your usage to achieve what you are describing. One way to do that would be to set up the accounts in Thunderbird on one computer as POP rather than IMAP. That would disconnect the messages from actions take on the server due to deletion on the other computer. That might make things more complicated than you want.

Another option would be to create sub-folders under Local Folders on just one of the computers and move messages from the IMAP folders to those new sub-folders. That would also separate those moved messages from any actions taken on the server side. You would have to remember to delete those moved messages as a separate step when you were ready to see them removed.
Thanks, Dan, for the excellent review of this situation. Now that I fully understand what is happening and that it is way it should be happening, I can now make some educated decisions on how to handle my issue.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Problem with deleting emails from same acct on two PCs?

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.