Extremely slow start on Windows 11

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
vagkts

Extremely slow start on Windows 11

Post by vagkts »

Hi all. I am using a triple boot system with Arch Linux, Windows 10 and Windows 11. While on Arch thunderbird opens in a blink of an eye, In windows 11 it takes about 5-10 minutes. I am using the same profile folder, located in an NTFS HDD shared to all OSes. It does have this behavior on the Windows 10 installation. All OSes run on SSD disks. Any ideas on what it might be the case here?
Last edited by vagkts on October 23rd, 2021, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Extremely slow start on Windows 11

Post by tanstaafl »

Does Firefox (or other large applications) have similar problems under Windows 10 and 11?

How much memory is free after loading Thunderbird under Windows 10?

Try launching Thunderbird in safe mode (aka troubleshooting mode if you're using version 91) by holding down the shift key when clicking on the shortcut to see if a incompatible add-on is causing problems.

What does Thunderbird appear to be doing for the 5-10 minutes (launching, waiting for a connection to a mail server, doing so much stuff in the background that the user interface is almost frozen or ....)?
vagkts

Post by vagkts »

Hi tanstaafl. Firefox opens in a second on both Windows. Memory is not an issue as it does not go over 50% ever. Tried Safe Mode with same results. Do not have any extra add-ons. There is a lot of Write I/O activity on the HDD where the profile is located. I have a lot of accounts and emails, filters etc, but strikes me hard that with the same profile in Windows and Arch it opens in 2-5 seconds. I also tried disabled Windows Defender and added the profile and .exe folder in its exception rules but with no luck there also.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

No help but TB 91.xx is also starting very slow for me under W10, V 21H1 and all updates in as of Oct 23, both Windows and TB 91. It seems to take about 10 full seconds. Operation is otherwise normal.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you experiment with disabling global search/indexing and offline folders (if you're using a IMAP account) to see if the problem is with background processes.
vagkts

Post by vagkts »

Hi again. Disabling index/search service did not do the trick. I've check my Windows 10 installation and noticed that I had the x32 Thunderbird installed there, so I tried this on Windows 11 also and problem solved. Thunderbird opened in 2 secs literally. Not sure why this is the case, as both Windows are x64 architecture. Thank though for the tips and quick response to issue.