Today’s Update Locks Up Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Diana060

Today’s Update Locks Up Thunderbird

Post by Diana060 »

Thunderbird just locked up this morning after an update.
I can’t tell you update version because everything is frozen, when I open Thunderbird nothing works, I can’t close it and I have to “end task” using task manager. I rebooted my machine and open Thunderbird again and it is still locked.

I have…
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎7/‎27/‎2020
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70 GHz
Installed RAM 6.00 GB
Device ID B76BC9EE-6ADB-470E-A1FB-3720CB5ADB27
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA693
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
DanRaisch

Re: Today’s Update Locks Up Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing happen if you launch the product in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
Diana060

Post by Diana060 »

When I open Thunderbird I can't access anything. Tools, files, edit... nothing. The windows that I have open on Thunderbird I can't close, I can't open Inbox. The only way to close Thunderbird is by Task Manager
Diana060

Post by Diana060 »

It worked when I opened it in Trouble Shooting Mode
I used this link... https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... hunderbird not the one to Firefox

So what does that mean that it is now working after the Troubleshoot mode. Did an email lock it up? Or was the program corrupted somehow.

And thank you for your help. I learned something new today :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So what does that mean that it is now working after the Troubleshoot mode. Did an email lock it up? Or was the program corrupted somehow.
Probably neither of those. When things work properly in Safe (Troubleshooting) Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.