Spam Folder Continually Downloading

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
RBonner

Spam Folder Continually Downloading

Post by RBonner »

The spam folder seems to be continually downloading. All the Inbox email fails to show. Tried uninstalling TBird and reinstalling but nothing changed. Would it be feasible to completely remove the profile and start over? It is set up as IMAP and all the mail is on the server email program.
LIMPET235

Re: Spam Folder Continually Downloading

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to the Thunderbird Support forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
RBonner

Post by RBonner »

Thanks for getting this Newbie post in the proper location. I fear I may not have described my problem adequately.

I'll make another stab at it.

When we open Thunderbird, it fails to download new emails and does not display the email that should be showing in the Inbox. There is an indication that the Spam folder is downloading but it never completes. I should point out that we can send emails with no problem. The account is set up as IMAP. We are able to utilize our email on the server with no problems.

We have no problem completely uninstalling everything and starting over if necessary - new download, profile, etc. - but not sure I know how to go about doing that. Thanks for any suggestions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A standard installation of Thunderbird does not have a folder named SPAM nor does TB use the term SPAM in any other way. The equivalent would be "Junk folder".
Most likely that's terminology used by the IMAP server. If you log onto the email provider's webmail page, is there a folder there named Spam? If so, close Thunderbird and navigate to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ). Locate and delete ONLY the file SPAM.msf.
RBonner

Post by RBonner »

You are correct that the IMAP server does use the term "Spam" rather than Junk. The server had also created a "Junk" folder which was empty.
I was unable to locate either a Junk or Spam folder in the "roaming" profile. Any other thoughts?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In Thunderbird under Tools->Account Settings->Junk Settings what folder is identified to receive Junk messages?
RBonner

Post by RBonner »

Thanks for your input. I'm helping a friend with his TBird problem and I don't have immediate access to his computer. I sent an email to him to get the information you indicated above. I got a rejection with this information:
Remote-MTA: dns; mx07.register.com. (172.65.252.97, the server for the domain xxxxxxx.com.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 The message from (<b.........Agmail.com) with the subject of (=?UTF-8?B?RndkOiBBc2tXb29keSBQbHVzIOKAkyAxOC40MS4xIOKAkyAyMDIxLTEw?= =?UTF-8?Q?-26_=e2=80=93_MS-DEFCON_3=3a_Ready_or_not=2c_it=27s_time_to_updat?= =?UTF-8?Q?e?=) matches a profile the Internet community may consider spam. Please revise your message before resending.
I tried send a second email that came back with the same message. I am wondering now if perhaps register.com could be having some problems that is causing my friend's TBird to act up. I will go to his computer after a bit to get the information you asked for.
RBonner

Post by RBonner »

The Junk settings showed the following:

"Destination and Retention
* Move new junk messages to:
O "Junk" folder on: Local Folders"

* There was an empty check box here. I inserted a check in the box and the put a check in the O check circle but it didn't change anything.

I think we are at the point that we would like to uninstall/delete everything and start over with a new Thunderbird download. What would we need to do to accomplish that?