TB 91.2.1 crashing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
phatchett

TB 91.2.1 crashing

Post by phatchett »

I have been using TB for years, current v78, on a windows platform without problems. I accepted the update offer yesterday. Running the new release 91.2.2 suffered many problems.
1) Spent forever trying to read gmail.
2)Spasmodicaly hung up with program not responding error and eventualy crashed.
3)Crashed when trying to open tools>preferences>general or chat.
4)Was using 25% CPU, and most of the free memory.
I tried starting in safe mode but it made no difference on restart in normal mode. I disabled add-ons and extensions without any improvement.
I reverted to TB78, on start it crashed with "Parsing error". Changing back to the copy of my profile from TB78 , everything worked as before while using TB78.

System :- win10 pro 21H1. Intel i9 processor. 16GB memory. SSD storage. Bitdefender security.

I would like to stay current with TB. Any help would be appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: TB 91.2.1 crashing

Post by DanRaisch »

I tried starting in safe mode but it made no difference on restart in normal mode.
But did it run properly while in Safe Mode? Starting in safe mode but then reverting to normal mode would not be fullly nformative.
phatchett

Post by phatchett »

In safe mode it ran OK except when trying to access general or chat preferences. I conlude from this that the problem might have something to do with add-ons/extensions. These were English dictionary (British Marco Polo) and bitdefender toolbar. I checked both boxes to disable add ons and returned to normal mode. TB crashed as before. To be sure I disabled addons and extensions in normal mode, TB still crashed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Disabling extensions may not cause TB to revert the config settings to the installation defaults. I suggest you try removing the bitdefender toolbar, closing TB, rebooting the PC (just to be thorough) and see if there is any improvement.
phatchett

Post by phatchett »

Thanks for you for your continuing help. I removed extensions and disabled Bitdefender AV and Firewall. Unfortunately TB still crashed (not responding). I am using the English dictionary (British Marco Polo). I seem to remember in the past there were issues with dictionary compatibilty. Is this a possible avenue? I have reverted back to 78 with no problems.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It should be easy to see if the dictionary is involved in the problem by disabling or removing that item. IF the problem still appears you can reinstall that dictionary.
phatchett

Post by phatchett »

I did remove the dictionary TB continued to crash. For the time being I will continue with TB78 and watch developments. Many thanks again for your time.
phatchett

Post by phatchett »

Update:- I renamed all directory entries relating to TB78, profiles etc. Uninstalled TB78. Installed TB91.1.2. This worked fine. I did need my 78 profile so did as usual and copied 78 profile to TB directory, renamed TB 91 directory to .bak. TB would not start. Edited TB 91 ini file and replaced entries with TB78 profiles names TB91 now works with all my 78 email links, archives et. One problem remains in that tb crashes accessing preferences. I believe this is a known bug.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

phatchett wrote:One problem remains in that tb crashes accessing preferences. I believe this is a known bug.
If you have language packs installed, yes.