failure to pass emails form provider web site to Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Besford

failure to pass emails form provider web site to Thunderbird

Post by Besford »

I have used thunderbird successfully for some years. I recently had to change to a new email service provider. Now emails sent from Thunderbird are not showing in the online "sent" file though are in the Tbird sent but are all not arriving at the destination email address. Similarly some incoming emails, but not all, are not arriving in the Tbird inbox. The new e mail address is working fully if used on the web. Thus communication between Tbird and provider is not. I have checked the settings given to me by the new provider and they are ok. Any thoughts?
tanstaafl

Re: failure to pass emails form provider web site to Thunder

Post by tanstaafl »

If you're using a IMAP account change the sent folder in copies&folders to match the name of whatever sent folder your email provider uses. If you're using a POP account it can only store a copy locally, even if the name matches one on the mail server.

Check whether your new email provider is too aggressive in trying to detect spam. Look in their spam/junk folder (using webmail) and see if the missing messages are there. You might be able to white list them by adding the senders to your webmail list of contacts.

If some of your mail is not reaching its destination one possibility is that the recipients smtp server rejected it due to the bad (or no) reputation of your email provider. See if there is any pattern in who doesn't get your mail. Who is your new email provider?

I have an account with inbox.eu and my fastmail, outlook, gmail, yahoo and comcast accounts always classify any mail I send from it to myself as spam despite the headers added by their spam detection system (SpamAssassin etc.) saying its not spam, because they so rarely get any traffic from that domain. You might be running into a similar situation.

If you had multiple accounts and only one had sending problems it is frequently possible to use the good accounts smtp server with the troublesome account.
Besford

Post by Besford »

Many thanks for that, I'll check everything you mention. Kind Regards
Besford

Post by Besford »

I have tried the above, which was some help but the main problem remains. If I send emails (POP3) they disappear without trace and to do not arrive. I receive no messages indication a non delivery. I am receiving most incoming but not all. If I receive from someone who has not previously sent to me and then send it generally works but again not always. If I just pick someone from my contacts then it generally doesn't work though Thunderbird it says it has. As a test with a friend I found the following;
Me to them - did not arrive, no not delivered message.
Them to me - did arrive.
Reply to them - did not arrive, no not delivered message.
Me to them freshly written email - did arrive.
Them reply to me did arrive.
Me reply to them did arrive.
Me to them selected from Collected Contacts List - did not arrive, no not delivered message.
Moved them to Personal Contacts List, selected and sent to them - did arrive.
Deleted them from Contacts sent to them - did not arrive , no not delivered message.
Reinstated them in Contacts selected sent to them - did not arrive , no not delivered message.
Picked up the email from line 5 above and replied again - did arrive.

I've now been without real email service for over a week and would be more than very grateful for some help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Doesn't sound like a problem caused by Thunderbird . Sounds like you either picked a poor email provider or you're running into some intermittent problems with your Internet connection which just happened to start just after you switched email providers (seems unlikely).

Are you using a free or a paid email provider?

gmail.com and outlook.com are good choices for a free email provider.