Message filters - how to

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Oyle

Message filters - how to

Post by Oyle »

Hello,
I am still on TB 68.12.1 - and may at some point upgrade to the most recent TB version, but not yet.
Still too many extensions/add-ons I use and need absolutely which have not yet been upgraded to work with the new TB...

I have about 8 different accounts from which I get my emails, plus the Archive.

I would like to set up filters for each account which will automatically move all the messages in the various accounts' deleted folders to the deleted folder in my main account, so that I only have to delete them manually from one.

I have followed some instructions - but whenever I check all the filters, they have reverted to the setting of "run selected filter(s) on Inbox of account xyz" even though I had set up the filter to be " run selected filter(s) on deleted of account xyz".

Why does it always revert and how can one prevent this ?

Thanks in advance for help
LIMPET235

Re: Message filters - how to

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any sort of clean up program like Ccleaner on that system?
Oyle

Post by Oyle »

No, on FF cookies are cleared when I close it. But as far as I know there is nothing else that automatically cleans up.
And the reverting happened in the same instance of Thunderbird, not after having exited and launched it again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It might be a long shot but you might try closing Thunderbird and then renaming the file msgFilterRules.dat to msgFilterRulesdat.old for just one account. ( http://kb.mozilla1zine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29 )
Recreate the filter(s) for that one account and see if that resolves the matter for that account. If so you can repeat the process for ther other accounts/
Oyle

Post by Oyle »

thanks for the tip! will do and reoprt back on the result
Oyle

Post by Oyle »

I have checked all the accounts and their respective msgFilterRules.dat. All the files without my addition to move deleted messages to my main account's deleted folder remain as they are.
On the 3-4 other accounts, where I had renamed msgFilterRules.dat to msgFilterRules.dat.old, when I added the filter, closed Thunderbird, checked the new .dat file, verified that the commands were all there, reopened TB and went to the respective Message Filter menu, they had reverted again to the setting of "run selected filter(s) on Inbox of account xyz" instead of "...on the deleted Folder of account xyz".
What is also strange is the following: on all accounts I have activated the Junk Settings to trust the junk mail headers set by SpamAssassin. But this setting only appears in the Message Filter panel in 2 accounts, and none of the others.
I had assumed that this filter is added automatically to the list of filters as soon as one activates this junk setting per account.

I hope you can give me some more advice!
Thanks in advance