Prefs leaks all my memory after forced upgrade 78->91

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
slarmet

Prefs leaks all my memory after forced upgrade 78->91

Post by slarmet »

Hi,

I got auto upgraded from 78 to 91 yesterday.

Now I can't access any Preferences - the tab opens, shows blank, and then Thunderbird just starts grabbing all the free RAM on my PC ( memory usage grows from 8GB to 16GB (max) and machine becomes unresponsive) until I have to kill the TT tasks in the Task Monitor.

Restarting in troubleshooting mode, the Prefs show fine, but if I then permanently disable the add-ons I am using (Emoji, Send Later and Mailbox Alert) and allow it to permanently reset 'selected' preferences, I am back with the blank Prefs + memory leak.

I tried upgrading to the latest 91-friendly add-ons - successfully - but, as I said, disabling them all is not a fix.

I can't just throw away prefs.js, because it bundles together (unhelpfully) both account setups and all the other non-account-related preferences that I don't really care about.

I can't see any option to permanently reset to the same default set of preferences that Troubleshooting mode uses.

Is the difference between the 'set of preferences reset temporarily by troubleshooting mode' and the 'set of 'selected' preferences than CAN be reset permanently' documented anywhere?

Windows 10 64-bit TT 64-bit
sfhowes

Re: Prefs leaks all my memory after forced upgrade 78->91

Post by sfhowes »

Safe mode disables all add-ons, not just those listed under Extensions. Do you have a language pack under Add-ons & Themes, Languages? They can cause Prefs. to hang.
slarmet

[FIX]Re: Prefs leaks all my memory after forced upgrade 78->

Post by slarmet »

sfhowes wrote:Safe mode disables all add-ons, not just those listed under Extensions. Do you have a language pack under Add-ons & Themes, Languages? They can cause Prefs. to hang.
AHA! I removed the British English language pack and dictionary (Marco Pinto) and restarted.
FIXED.

THANK YOU!
slarmet

Post by slarmet »

and, to add further

I just dowloaded the "91 compatible" en-gb language pack XPI from addons.thunderbird.net and installed it again.

91.0buildid20211020014537 dated 01 Nov 2021

And my problem has returned.

So, this version is broken on addons.thunderbird.net
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I think you can keep dictionaries without issues, but not language packs.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1728744
slarmet

Post by slarmet »

sfhowes wrote:I think you can keep dictionaries without issues, but not language packs.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1728744

When a Firefox bug is fixed - like

Code: Select all

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1642415
which seems to match my issue closely

and that same bug is also in the TBird codebase, how do I determine which future version of TBird they have fixed it in?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> how do I determine which future version of TBird they have fixed it in?

There is no ETA at present for when this will be fixed in Thunderbird. (If I haven't confused bug reports)
dmalt

Post by dmalt »

I know "me too" replies are discouraged, but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread. I was also experience this exact issue after the upgrade, where anytime any preferences menu opened Thunderbird would stall and start leaking memory and consume 10's of GB of memory before having to be manual killed. In my case it was the Greek language pack that needed to be removed, and then all was well.

Cheers,

Demetri