Messages being marked as read

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
graywellparts

Messages being marked as read

Post by graywellparts »

I am using TB ver. 91.2.1 32 bit on Windows 10. I am using the 32 bit so it will integrate with Quickbooks. I am using Avast AV. The problem I am having is that unread messages are being marked as read automatically. I have unchecked the box next to Automatically mark messages as read but it still marks them as read. I also tried at one point checking the box to mark them read after 6 seconds. Which did work on the message I was reading, but if I switched to a different windows to do something when I switched back to TB the remaining unread messages were marked as read. During the day I receive a lot of emails and for unread messages to remain BOLD type until I read is important.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
LIMPET235

Re: Messages being marked as read

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In Thunderbird the menu path is Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

Try changing the value of "Automatically mark messages as read" to 999999. Then close and restart Thunderbird.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

The accounts are set up as IMAP. In account settings, synchronization I have it set to keep messages on this computer.
I will try changing the auto read value to 999999. I will advise later.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

After approx 1 hour and 15 min the unread messages were marked as read.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

There was an issue with Bitdefender's anti-spam tool marking unread as read. Is there something similar in Avast?
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

I already looked at Avast. It does have email scanning, but nothing specific to spam. I also disabled the email scan portion for a time and messages were still being marked as read. Thinking about it now when I did disable the email scan portion of Avast I did not restart TB. I am trying it again and I will advise.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

With the email scan disabled after a little over an hour it marked an unread message as read.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Update to 91.3 and see if the problem remains, as this version has some fixes for OS X that might apply to Windows.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

I will try it and let you know.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

Came in this morning and opened TB, same issue. I left 2 messages yesterday as unread and this morning both were marked as read. One thing that I did notice, only messages in the inbox are being marked as read. Messages in the junk folder do not change. Do not know if that helps but it is more info
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try this as an experiment: Without opening the messages, try moving two or three newly received messages from the Inbox of the account to the Inbox of the Local Folders structure. Leave them there for a time and see if the Read status changes. This will let you know if the IMAP server is changing things.
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

I will let you know
graywellparts

Post by graywellparts »

It has been 3 1/2 hours since I moved the messages to a local folder, and none of them is marked as read. In the same time 2 other new messages that I received in my inbox have been marked as read. So I assume that indicates that the problem is IMAP related. So my only choices are live with it, or change the email to POP3 servers. Unfortunately doing that will bring down all my previous emails.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Unfortunately doing that will bring down all my previous emails.
Not necessarily. You could move all of the messages now in the server inbox folder to a new server folder created for the purpose. Then when you create a POP account in TB there will be no backlog of messages to be downloaded.